Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

I am designing a system were I am going to have two hot

Customer Question
water tanks with coils inside...
I am designing a system were I am going to have two hot water tanks with coils inside being heated by two different heating systems. One will be solar the other a gas boiler . I want to join the two tanks together so that if one system is not producing I.e. solar the other will. It eyed to use one pump to pump water from hot side of one tank to the cold of other and then connected the hot of other to the cold of the other, like a criss cross. Noting happen. Any ideas how I can do it.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Plumbing
1/24/2016
Plumber: Rick, Construction Supervisor replied 2 years ago
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

You're on the right track but you need to install a return line between the 2 so the water can circulate between the 2 tanks.

Do you mean a returne line or a returne pump. Because I have a returne line but it seems like the pump can't or is not pumping through. The pump is actually making a noise as if the front hah too much pressure

Besides the line the pump is on you need a second line connecting the 2 tanks so the water can circulate. Also might help to remove the heat traps from the tank nipples on both tanks. Not that it's relevant to the current issue but is your pump a bronze pump? One other thing, your "crisscross" is not the way to pipe this. The hot out of the second tank should connect to the house not the other tank. Your return should be at the bottom of the tanks. We use the drain tapping for return lines. Remove the tank drains then install a brass nipple and TEE. The branch of the TEE's connect and the drain goes in the end of the TEE. I'd make the solar tank first in line (cold water into the tank and the back up second (hot out of the solar to cold into the back up)