Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

My shower moen mixing valve does not get the hot water like…

Customer Question
My shower moen mixing valve...
My shower moen mixing valve does not get the hot water like it use to and I am taking it apart. What do I need to do to finish the job.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Plumbing
1/23/2016
Plumber: Mike R., Plumber replied 2 years ago
Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. You may have to replace the cartridge but it may just need to be lubricated. Do you have some plumber's grease? Do you have a Moentrol or Positemp Moen shower?

I don't see anything to tell me. It has a single lever.

Do you pull to turn on and left and right for temperature or turn only and further left you turn the hotter?

No pulling I just turn left for hot water.

Very good. That is a Positemp. It is likely that the problem is that the pressure balance cylinder is sticking and that is why the hot water is not getting as hot. It could simply be the hot water stop needs to be moved. You will need an allen wrench and a screwdriver.....maybe just a screwdriver depending on the type of handle. Remove the handle and the black handle mount and you will find a white plastic piece slid into another one. That piece has a stop on it. pull it out and turn it counter clockwise and replace it. This will move the stop further and allow you to turn the handle further hot. It may help to mark the pieces with a marker before you start so you remember the original position....just in case there is confusion. If this does not work then turn the water off to the house and remove the plastic pieces, sleeve and locking pin slid into the top. Pull the cartridge out and take the cartridge apart by sliding the center of it out and grease with plumber's grease. Do not use any petroleum products like Vasoline or WD-40. It must be silicone based lubricant. Lubricate the outside of the cartridge also before replacing. Be aware that there is an upside down to replacing it. Look on the very front and you will see a little H....this goes to the left when replacing.

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?

Were you able to repair the issue with the information provided?