Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

My toilet won't flush completely and the water recedes

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, my toilet won't flush completely and the water recedes slowly...
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Well, the only other things are the bowl fills almost to the rim but not quite, then when it recedes, it goes below its normal level. It started 2 days ago, just the bowl water level was low, then today the not completely flushing started. (Hope that makes sense to you and helps..)
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Plumbing Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Your description indicates you have a stoppage in the toilet bowl. You can try plunging the bowl but if you don't have a professional quality plunger already then the best tool for the job is a closet/toilet auger (see attached pic). The auger will clear most stoppage even when a plunger won't. You can get a decent quality one at the big box stores or a good hardware store. Let me know if you plan on buying one and I'll pot instructions on how to use it here. Your only other option is to call a plumber.