Plumbing

Plumbing Questions? Ask a Plumber and Get Answers ASAP.

Plumbing

We have had some work done in our house. Had great water

Customer Question
pressure in our shower, almost...
We have had some work done in our house. Had great water pressure in our shower, almost to good. We got a new shower head, faucet stems and water heater and have had no problems. Recently our hot water pressure seems to be dropping. In additions when it is on full power gets super hot the slightest addition of cold water and there is no more hot water. I have a feeling it is just an adjustment somewhere just don't know where to start looking.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Plumbing
12/1/2015
Plumber: Rick, Construction Supervisor replied 2 years ago
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can

continue our conversation.

What is the brand and model of your shower valve/faucet? is this only happening in the shower?

only in the shower. The brand I can not remember it is an off brand, house is 40 years old we took the stems out and to an old mom and pop plumbing shop and they special ordered them.

So this is a 2 handle shower valve?

There is three additional sinks in the house (also and additional shower being built)and have had no problems with these sinks either. Which leads me to believe it is a problem just in the shower. It has three handles. Hot/ Cold/ and one to switch from shower to bath faucet.

There are no adjustments on an old 3 handle valve. The most likely culprit is either sediment in the hot water side of the valve or possibly a flaw with the stem. With a valve this old stem replacements are aftermarket, there are no more OEM stems left around. We've had problems with aftermarket valve parts not functioning as they should. It sounds to me like the hot stem's washer might not be clearing the seat as much as it should which would limit the flow, explaining both problems. I'd pull the stem, flush out the hot side and check the washer on the stem. Is it loose? can you install a washer that's not as thick?

I will try that and let you know how it works out. Thank you!

You're welcome

Rick
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor