Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

I have a streaming leak in my shower faucet. Can't get a

Customer Question

I have a streaming leak in my shower faucet. Can't get a plumber here anytime soon. What could I do to fix this or stop it other than turning water to house off. I have company for the holiday. I attached my fixture.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

You'll have to rebuild the shower valve. It looks like a Delta so most parts are pretty commonly available. You have to turn the water off to the house then remove the handle and the bonnet behind the handle so you can remove the cartridge. Many Delta valves have neoprene seats which you can get at the big box stores. You won't know just what you need until you get it apart.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have no big box stores around me. Are Delta parts available anywhere else? If I take the cartridge out and/or handle off, is there a way to shut off the water to that faucet until part can be had? My shower does have 2 shower heads, though they may be connected for all I know.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Your only other viable option would be a plumbing supply house maybe a good hardware store. There seldom are shut offs to just the shower but some valve have built in shut offs. You can find this out by removing just the handle and the round trim plate at the wall. If your valve has shut offs you see 2 stems with screwdriver slots where the water pipes connect to the valve inside the wall. Just turn the screwdriver slots all the way clockwise to shut it off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Handle has 2 screws. One comes out, other loosens a little but won't come out for me. Any tips?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Show me a pic of the screws in the handle

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here it is!
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

That's not what I meant. If you can't get the handle off I need a pic of the handle showing me the problem screw. That screw looks like one that holds on the trim plate at the wall not the handle

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oops! I will now try the handle instead.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pulled 3 things out. What is in handle yet doesn't seem to want to come out. Does it need to?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You already have the handle off. You need to remove the other screw in the round plate at the wall so you can pull the plate off

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is the screw that I said won't come out. What can I do?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

It should come out easily. Can you give me a pic straight on of the screw and the center of the valve. I'm wondering if the bonnet in the middle is in the way. Shouldn't be

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took the silver outside casing off. The screw that won't come out is bottom left.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

There's nothing that should stop it from coming out. Maybe it's seized up but in 40 years that's never happened to me. This won't stop you from fixing this but it will stop you from just shutting off just the shower.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah, it is only 12 years old and that screw locked in. So what am I replacing to stop the leak? I'll check home depot shortly. Also, what do I have to put back together so I can turn the water back on?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You have to remove the cartridge in the valve (the white piece with the stem coming out of it in the middle of the valve). Judging from what I can see you've got maybe a 50/50 chance at best of finding the parts at Home Depot. The downside and it's a big one is if you damage something taking this apart you risk have no water at all in the house until the plumber gets there to replace the entire valve. My suggestion is to leave it alone and tackle this next week when you won't have to pay extra if you need a plumber.