Plumbing

Plumbing Questions? Ask a Plumber and Get Answers ASAP.

Plumbing

We are replacing a bathroom faucet. Under each handle is a

Customer Question
Hi. We are replacing a...
Hi. We are replacing a bathroom faucet. Under each handle is a circular yellow stain that we can't remove. The new faucet handles aren't wide enough to cover the stains. Do you know how to remove the stains? I think the vanity top is cultured marble?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Plumbing
11/23/2015
Plumber: Daniel Plourde, Plumber replied 1 year ago
Daniel Plourde

hi i am dan, i can help you with this, is the stain on a smooth surface?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can send a picture if that would be helpful.

ok what i would recommend first is using a pumice stone to scrub it you can also use any of the other cleaning solution with it too just as long as it stays lubricated

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that won't scratch?

no pumice is very soft. i use it on porciline a lot but just to be safe you can test it on a small area to be sure.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've been trying it for several minutes and nothing is happening. How long do you think it will take?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is it an oil stain from the plumber's putty?

it should not take too long, if that does not remove it the next step would be very strong cleaning chemicals. it may be the oil stain or a water stain if water got trapped under it but if it is very dificult then most likely oil. in that case a good degreaser is probably the next step.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's not a water stain. It's a yellow perfectly circular stain under where each handle was. No grit. Perfectly smooth surface.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tried Goof Off, mineral spirits, baking soda, vinegar, Bar Keeper's Friend. Nothing is working.

the next thing you may want to try is acetone. just be careful with it and wear good rubber gloves.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That didn't work either. I'm off to Home Depot to see if I can buy a different faucet that will cover it.

ok if none of that worked then it may nit even be posible to remove. a different faucet is your best option at that point. if you have any more questions please let me know. if not i would appreciate it if you could rate me on my service and thank you for using just answer.

do you have any more questions about this?

If you don't have any more questions I would appreciate it if you could rate me on my service by selecting one of the 5 stars. Thank you

Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde, Plumber