Plumbing

Plumbing Questions? Ask a Plumber and Get Answers ASAP.

Plumbing

Experiencing a sort of sewer gas type odor in bathroom time

Customer Question
Experiencing a sort of sewer...
Experiencing a sort of sewer gas type odor in bathroom for some time now. I believe it is coming from the toilet. Not sure what causes this odor. Had roof replaced 2 years ago, thinking this was the cause. Had stink pipes checked to see if there is a blockage...none reported. Have bathroom in basement and first floor of home. At times they both have the odor at the same time and other times only one may have it. Older toilet (1980's) on first floor. Just had one in basement replaced. Do you have any idea what the cause of this fowl odor may be? Also, is it dangerous?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Plumbing
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/22/2015
Plumber: Steve, Master Plumber replied 1 year ago
Steve
Steve, Master Plumber

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have over 20 years experience in the plumbing trade. I'll be more than happy to help you. Let me ask a couple questions so I can zero in on the source of this odor.

Also, though the sewer gas can contain hydrogen sulfide that causes the bad odor on most occasions, it will not harm people at the concentrations that exist in a house with sewer gas odor problems.

Now getting back to determining the source of the smell, let me ask you, does the basement have a floor drain? Also are there any plumbing fixtures not used regularly such as a tub or shower? Let me know about these and we can go from there.

Thank you

Hello friend,

Just checking back to see if you have viewed my first response.

Thank you, Steve

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I have submitted the phone service offer. When you accept you will provide your number and please let me know the best time to call

Marc
Marc
Marc, Plumber