Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

Bud, we have a split-level house built in the late 50's with

Customer Question

Hi Bud, we have a split-level house built in the late 50's with one bathroom upstairs (tub, toilet, 1 sink) and one downstairs (shower, 1 sink, toilet). The downstairs toilet is splashing up water when the upstairs one is flushed. There is also sometimes loud gurgling in the kitchen double-sink drain when the washing machine drains out, and the upstairs shower is draining a little slowly. We rarely use the downstairs shower, but I just tested it and it is also draining slowly. As far as I can tell we have 3 vent pipes on the roof - 1 narrow one above the tub, 1 wide one above the toilets, and 1 narrow one above the kitchen sink. Can you advise as to whether you think this is a main drain problem, or something else?
Thank you! Jennifer in Northern NJ
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can

continue our conversation.

Vents rarely plug up. I'd suspect a main line stoppage (maybe a partial one). The first ting to try would be to snake out the main line. This job is best left to a pro. You could rent a power snake but a drain cleaning service (less money than a plumber) will usually snake the line for not a lot more than it costs to rent the equipment. And it's a rotten messy job anyway.