Marc
Marc, Plumber
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
50715266

I installed new kohler shower body. When lawn sprinkler

Customer Question

I installed new kohler shower body. When lawn sprinkler turnso on shower starts running. Any insight? Thanx
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

So far this is a bit hard to fathom, do you mean to say that when the lawn sprinkler is on, that the shower in your bathroom turns on, all by itself as well?

(It is more common that shower will run too hot or too cold when a lawn sprinker comes on)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shower starts running when sprinkler automatically turns on.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

If it was this way from the day the house was built, its a plumbing design problem, if this situation just began I have no humanly idea what could be going on.

Let me know, I can also opt out depending on what we learn.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Does the shower just start dripping? or does it run wide open when the sprinkler comes on.?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a new install in an existing home. I guess my question is...is the kohler shower body dependant on a minimum water pressure to effectively work.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

All fixtures are dependent on a minimum pressure to regulate hot and cold water mixing to work... but none require water pressure stay off.

So far this appears to be a gross plumbing error. If it is a new home the general contractor owes you a proper plumbing job, in this case he will undoubtedly inform the plumber who will most likely come out and fix the error.

I still need to know however if the shower just drips, or comes on full blast when the sprinkler turns on.

.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Do you happen to have the model number of the Kohler shower body?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Almost full flow but at a reduced pressure. This is not a new home. A gc installed a new bathroom and thus situation arise the first nite. I am a plumber he called in to trouble shoot.
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Thanks,

There has to be a gross plumbing error for this to happen. and also s defective fixture or installation of the fixture.

As a plumber you know that all fixtures are made to be shut off regardless of the water pressure....if that were not the case, and if a fixture came open under low supply pressure, every house that had such a fixture would flood during times of low water pressure from the city.

There would be no reason to build such a fixture.

You are looking for a gross plumbing error... possibly hidden in a wall, or the crawl space... and a fixture that is either defective or installed backwards or some such... a first class mess.

Keep your eyes open for more serious errors in the sink and floor drain traps (or missing traps) and also venting errors.