Plumbing

Plumbing Questions? Ask a Plumber and Get Answers ASAP.

Plumbing

I recently installed a rheem tankless water heater using

Customer Question
flexible gas line. Customer is...
I recently installed a rheem tankless water heater using flexible gas line. Customer is having problems now. Rheem tech support said flexible gas cannot be used. Is that right? Even if a dirt leg is installed at unit?
.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Plumbing
11/12/2015
Plumber: Mike R., Plumber replied 2 years ago
Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Yes it is true since the inner diameter of flexible line is much smaller than black iron. Did you use 3/4 flex or 1/2?

3/4" gas tite flexible gas line

Well, even that is still too small. The minimum is 3/4 black iron. If you review the manual I do believe there is a chart that shows what gas pressures are needed for each type and size of gas pipe. If you put pipe dope inside the fittings then it may just be a blockage but still the pipe is below what is required.

Rheem model#ECO150XLN3 eco sense mid efficiency . The manual says 3/4"

No chart in the installation manual?

Im under 30 ft. Came off of a 1" main line

Did you count how many fixtures on on that line?

2. Furnace and oven

What was the gas pressure?

That i do not know.

There should be a chart in the installation manual that charts out what size gas piping is required for different pressures. Also you want to be sure that the meter is sized correctly. The gas company will do all that if you got a permit and inspection. If the meter is not sized correctly they will replace the meter for free.

Plumber: Mike R., Plumber replied 1 year ago

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?

Mike R.
Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber