Plumbing

Plumbing Questions? Ask a Plumber and Get Answers ASAP.

Plumbing

What is the best way to winterize a building which doesn't

Customer Question
currently have any heat?...
What is the best way to winterize a building which doesn't currently have any heat? As the winter is approaching here in NY I have a warehouse whose heating system is not functioning properly and due to financial constraints might have to wait a few months before I can afford to fix it. I just don't want the water pipes to freeze and cause additional damage. Also, what other things should I be on the look out for?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Plumbing
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/8/2015
Plumber: Rick, Construction Supervisor replied 2 years ago
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can

continue our conversation.
What type of heating system? hot water? steam? warm air? unit heaters?

gas heat

Thanks for your response but it really doesn't answer my question. I asked because a hot water system requires winterization along with the plumbing. Here are winterization instructions for the plumbing. Let me know if you have hot water heat in any part of your place and I'll add instructions for that as well.

Turn the power off to the well and water heater. If you have town water turn off the water main and have the town turn off the water at the street and remove the water meter. Open every faucet in the building (outside faucets too) and leave them open. Drain the water heater and well tank with the faucets open. If your well pump is in the building disconnect the suction line and outlet line and tip the pump over to empty all the water out of the pump. Sponge all the water out of the toilet tanks and bowls. If you have a dishwasher disconnect the drain hose at the pump under the dishwasher or where it connects to the drain if you can drop the hose enough to empty the dishwasher pump. If you have an air compressor connect the air compressor to any hose faucet and blow out the lines hot and cold. Let the pressure build up to ~100 psi in the compressor before you let it go. This step is not essential but is a good idea if feasible.
Dump non-toxic Propylene Glycol anti-freeze (50% mix with water) in every fixture drain, enough to fill the trap including the toilets and dump some in the bottom of the dishwasher as well (some will leak out the pump if the hose is still disconnected).
Be sure to fill the water heater before you turn the power back on in the spring.

Rick
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor