Plumbing

Plumbing Questions? Ask a Plumber and Get Answers ASAP.

Plumbing

My secondary toilet needs the following: Universal Toilet

Customer Question
Hi, My secondary toilet needs...
Hi, My secondary toilet needs the following: Universal Toilet Tank Flush Lever, Chrome Finish Handle with One-way 2-Inch Toilet Tank Flapper and Chain, Fits Most Toilets http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014ENSA7I?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_1&smid=A11VKXF5YU8JCG
However, although when I manually lift the flapper the toiler flushes but continues to run because the ball does not raise high enough; if I manually lift the ball the toilet stops running, but as soon as I let go of the ball it returns to the water and the
running resumes. Is this just a matter of tightening some screws or components, or do I need to purchase additional materials other than the above. Also, does the product cited seem sufficient? If not, please point out better quality on Amazon. I need an answer
within the next 30n minutes so I can order from Amazon for Sunday delivery when a friend can help me repair the toilet. Thanks!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Plumbing
I just read this: If the toilet is constantly running, the toilet ball is sitting too high in the toilet and needs to be lowered. If the ball sits too low in the tank and the flush is not adequate, the ball must be raised.
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/adjust-ball-toilet-33734.htmlI would think the opposite since I need to raise the ball; the ball is too low which causes the running.
On closer exam, when I lift the ball I still hear running, and the water in the tank lowers. However, if I do not lift the ball, the sound is a lot louder..
In neither case is water running into the pipe that fills with water when you flush the toilet.
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/7/2015
Plumber: Daniel Plourde, Plumber replied 2 years ago
Daniel Plourde

hi i am dan, it sounds like you may have multiple issues but we will take them one at a time. first if the toilet is constantly running then that means it is loosing water somewhere and the float is probably just doing its job. most of the time it is the flapper that is leaking by so i would recommend to just replace the flapper since that will be the cheapest and easiest to replace and see if the water running stops then.

did this help you or is it still not working properly?

Well, when I press the flapper down with my hand, I can still hear some water running. The toilet was installed when I bought my home in 1988. Flapper has been replaced before.
I ordered this: Fluidmaster 5104 Flapper Chain http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQML7S?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ARJR8S?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
and this: Korky 2003BP EasyFix Flush Valve Repair Kitbut do not know if sufficient; that is , whether I need to replace the ball or other components also.

i would first start with the flapper leaking by if it is leaking even holding it down will not stop it. i would replace just the flapper and make sure it is adjusted properly then the water should stop running once full. it is recommended to replace flappers every 6 to 12 months as they are cheap and easy to replace and wear out fairly easily. if replacing that doesn't work let me know

Ok, I will get back to you. Thanks.

Ok. Let me know

Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde
Daniel Plourde, Plumber