Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

I need a question answered about a septic issue who can I

Customer Question

I need a question answered about a septic issue who can I ask?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can

continue our conversation.
What is your question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi my question is this. Over the last week we have noticed that after 2 of us showering we have a septic leak occurring from the house to the tank. Water is seeping up onto sidewalk about a foot away from tank. Not sure what we should do. What are your suggestions as to what could be causing this puddle of standing water.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like either the outlet to the leaching field is blocked or the field has failed. The first thing you should do is have the tank pumped and have them check the tank outlet. If the tank hasn't been pumped in the last couple years pumping it may be all that's needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The tank was pumped a month ago. Field is dry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it be the outlet or inlet as the puddle is going into septic
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Did they check the outlet to the field? Sounds like you could also have a broken drain line between the house and the tank. If you had a clogged inlet then you'd likely get a back up from the lowest fixture in the house. I suspect it could be a combination of a leak in the drain line and possibly a restriction i the outlet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How would I go about checking to see if the drain line is broken or if the inlet is clogged? I suspect I can dig up the drain pipe??
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Either dig it up or put a camera down the line but digging it up would be a lot less expensive if you do the digging and a camera won't necessarily show all possible leak sources.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Like I said before a clogged inlet is unlikely. You'd have to dig up the tank outlet and pull the cover to check for a clogged outlet

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok do you have any idea if the outlet is clogged how to go about unclogging? Who repairs such things? And what is the typical cost? I'm looking at the tank and almost suspect that the tank is overflowing at lid and puddling on sidewalk. We just had tank pumped a month ago but because if any issues just always have it pumped every 3 years.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

The same guys that pumped your tank can probably take care of a clogged outlet, most do. It's often a simple matter of snaking it out or just breaking up the deposits at the outlet baffle. No way to tell what it would cost. Maybe a couple hundred, less if you dig up the tank. You might even be able to do it yourself if it's just a build up at the baffle. Your suspicions are another possibility. You can confirm either theory by uncovering the tank lid then flushing the toilet several times in a row. If you're right you'll see it seep out. If it's a leak it the drain it won't show on top of the tank.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help, if you don't mind one final question and I apologize if it sounds like I'm repeating myself. If the water is seeping out from lid of tank the cause would most likely be a clog?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. Yes, the only way water would seep out of the lid is if it can't get out of the tank via the outlet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just got home from work and let the shower run. The water is definitely seeping out of the lid of tank. Very stressful since tank was pumped 6 weeks ago. So my next step would be to call septic company in morning and see if they can snake the outlet??? The drain field is dry so I'm not sure where the problem lies
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Most likely place for a blockage is right at the outlet so the effluent is never making it to the field.
I'd appreciate a favorable rating