How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phil Your Own Question
Phil, Mechanical Engineer.
Category: Plumbing
Satisfied Customers: 8526
Experience:  Retired mech. contractor, shop owner, 51 yrs experience.
Type Your Plumbing Question Here...
Phil is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have old american standard gas boiler with a bad

Customer Question

I have old american standard gas boiler with a bad thermocouple. It is supposed to look like a copper tube in the pilot flame. Mine looks like it burst and of course the burners don't light. How do I locate the part# ***** the thermocouple?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello, those thermocouples are generic items more or less, all you need to do is remove the old one and take to a good sized hardware store and buy a kit with adapters in to fit to any pilot light, and the same length of tube.

Notice the nut on the end of the thin copper tube that screws into the gas valve is a **left hand* thread, it requires a 3/8" open end wrench.

Thanks for letting me work with you. When we are finished, if my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings . If you still need help let me know!. Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer. Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost.