Plumbing

Plumbing Questions? Ask a Plumber and Get Answers ASAP.

Plumbing

The status light on my whirlpool water heater is off as is

Customer Question
the pilot light? no clue...
The status light on my whirlpool water heater is off as is the pilot light? no clue why??
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Plumbing
10/30/2015
Plumber: Rick, Construction Supervisor replied 2 years ago
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

What is the model number of your heater? If this is a fairly new gas fired unit then the reason the status light is out is because the pilot is out. The pilot heating the thermopile (the flame sensor in the pilot flame) generates a low voltage current that powers the gas valve ad status light.

The first thing to try is to relight the pilot. Instructions should be on the front of the tank

where do u find the model number

It's on the rating tag on the tank. But you'll still need to try lighting the pilot if you want to get it running again.

found model number its N40T61-343
tried lighting pilot, didn't light.....status light is off too
seems like whole unit is....de-powered

I've already explained why the status light is out. Did you hit the igniter button repeatedly while you were holding in the knob?

still got nothing

How old is the heater? Is the gas turned on?

turned it to pilot position......held knob......repeatedly pushed pilot light button

You didn't answer my last question. How old is the heater?

2 years old
june 2013

This is probably a warranty issue. You'll need to call Whirlpool and ask them how to proceed with a warranty claim. You can call them at(###) ###-####/p>

One thing to check first

ok whats that

Remove the cover below the gas valve. behind the cover on the right side you'll see a small button on a sensor between 2 wires. Push that button. If it clicks you have reset it. Then try lighting the pilot again. If it doesn't click it proably wasn't tripped and you'll have to call

don't see the switch
there is no inner door as label says
I see the switch ,,,theres 2 screws holding it on, take it I have to remove thse screws to get to the switch and remove the plugs ?

That's not what I said. Just push the small button in between the 2 wires

I did push it, its stationary and doesn't move

Ok if it doesn't click when you push it then it's not tripped and you'll need to call Whirlpool

ok thanks

You're welcome

Rick
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor