Plumbing

Plumbing Questions? Ask a Plumber and Get Answers ASAP.

Plumbing

Something really weird has happened overnight. All three

Customer Question
toilets have started running and...
Something really weird has happened overnight. All three toilets have started running and the cisterns are filling all the time and now we can't get any hot water out of our wall mounted shower. Do you have any idea what might have happened?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Plumbing
10/18/2015
Plumber: Rick, Construction Supervisor replied 2 years ago
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Are you on a well? how many handles does your shower valve/faucet have?

No, we are on mains direct feed. Our shower is a Mira Fino mixer shower.

Where are you located? in the States?

No, in the UK

That's what I was beginning to suspect. I'm in the States and our systems are just different enough that I'm not familiar with the idiosyncrasies of UK plumbing. I'm going to open this backup to my colleagues in the UK so one of them can help. Please don't respond (even to acknowledge this post) until you get a response from us. If you respond first it will only delay your answer.

Plumber: Jed Noble,
 replied 2 years ago
Jed Noble

Hello my name is***** have been a plumbing professional 15 years and taught plumbing at a major university for 5 years. It sounds like sediment has got into your water system if you are on a well I would be fairly certain that sand has gotten into your water system. Sand can both clogged toilet valve and make them run as well as clog shower valve and limit either the hot or the cold. If you have a filter on your system I would check that and see if it seems to have an abnormal amount of sand or debris in it.

Plumber: Jed Noble,
 replied 2 years ago

If you are on city water then I would guess that it was from old galvanized pipes and possibly the pressure being shut off or changing on the municipal side, this can cause debris to fall off of the walls of the pipe and clogged toilets showers sinks excetra. Regardless of your water source assuming debris is what caused the problem you will need to clean all of the valves out or replace them to return to normal operation, then you might want to consider installing a filter where water enters your building. Let me know if you have any other questions. You may need additional help on how to clean your valves.

Hi Jed, it's none of what you've suggested unfortunately. We have just discovered that Severn Trent have had a massive mains burst in the village which sent the pressure way above what our Mira shower could bear and has blown the whole thing. Plumber and compensations on the way.
Plumber: Jed Noble,
 replied 2 years ago

Fair enough, I could see that causing all of those problems. You may want to consider asking your plumber to install a pressure reducing valve ask your water inlet to the house. A pressure reducing valve as we call it in the States would not let pressure spikes enter your home. I hope you get your plumbing system up and running quickly, best wishes.

Hi Jed, I will do, thanks for that advice.
Marc
Marc
Marc, Plumber