How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rick Your Own Question
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Category: Plumbing
Satisfied Customers: 21978
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
Type Your Plumbing Question Here...
Rick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a leak at the bathtub faucet. I have attempted to

Customer Question

I have a leak at the bathtub faucet. I have attempted to replace the washers in the tub knobs but can't find any that fit it properly. This home was built in 1956 and I believe this is the original fixtures. I have a home warranty policy which covers some
plumbing issues, however, it excludes fixtures. Would a leak at the tub faucet be a fixture issue or is there another reason why there would be a leak. I just don't want to waste paying the deductible only to have the home warranty company deny the claim.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.

Technically it's a valve not a fixture but that won't stop your insurance company from trying to classify it as a fixture. I'd suggest you call the insurance company and ask them how they would classify the tub valve. There's not much point in trying to find parts for this valve. Even if you can replace the washers the seats (what the washer compresses against) are probably bad too and no way you find seats for a 60 year old tub valve. The best course of action is to just replace the valve. This can be done without destroying the wall. We use a cover plate (see attached pic) that allows for a hole big enough to work through from the tub side. Then the plate covers the hole.