How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rick Your Own Question
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Category: Plumbing
Satisfied Customers: 21531
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
Type Your Plumbing Question Here...
Rick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a shower faucet that has been ssing two months. If

Customer Question

I have a shower faucet that has been hissing for about two months. If the handle is turned so that it is not completely off, the hissing quiets. I see no leak, though my husband leaves the handle so that it continues to hiss all day. The sink faucet is also dripping. Is this something I could fix?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you with your issue. If my initial response doesn’t answer your question then let me know and we can continue our conversation.
If you have some experience with faucet repair you can probably fix this. I'll need to know the brand and model of both faucets if you want specific instructions. You'll also need that to get parts. If you don't know postings a picture of each here might help me to identify them.
You can post a picture here by clicking on the paper clip icon in the tool bar at the top of this dialogue box. You can only post from a PC or a Mac not a phone or a tablet. If that doesn’t work for you then you can upload a pic to a file sharing service like Google pics or Dropbox. Then post the “share” link to your picture here or you can email the pic to customer service but the last option can take quite a while to get to me. Click on the CONTACT US link to contact customer service.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a Kohler single handled faucet without volume control.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

That looks like an old model and if the valve in the wall is the one I think it is fixing this is best left to a plumber. What about the sink faucet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The sink looks like this and is also a Kohler brand. Again, I do not know the model. It was here when we bought the house 4 years ago. I do have a little plumbing knowledge, as I have installed and replaced several fixtures. I have some supplies (plumbers' tape), etc.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

I don't recognize either one. They're not a current model but that doesn't mean you can't get parts. What I'd suggest is that you go to a plumbing supply house that sells Kohler (one with a showroom would be best) and bring the pictures with you. They should be able to identify the valves and the parts needed to fix them.

But I suspect the shower valve is a Niedecken model. If that's the case then repairing it is best left to a plumber. The sink faucet might be some thing you can do once you get the parts but if you're going to get a plumber to fix the shower then fixing the sink won't take him much longer.