Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience:  20 years of plumbing experience, including high end homes and service work.
64367226

Our Kohler toilet has started filling very slowly within the

Customer Question

Our Kohler toilet has started filling very slowly within the last week. I just replaced the supply line to it and it has full pressure. However, when I turn the water on to the toilet, it starts filling with full stream and then within seconds drops down to just a trickle. What do I need to replace/fix? I pulled a small blue piece off where it connects to the white fill tube thinking in might be a low flow restrictor, but this did not correct the problem. The white fill tube is also clear of any obstructions.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** i have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. There must be a restriction in the diaphragm of the fill valve. Turn the water off and remove the head of the fill valve. To remove the head you would remove the cap then turn the part with the float arm attached. Take a cup and turn it upside down over the head and turn the water on to flush it for a couple of seconds then replace the parts. That should remove the restriction and get it going again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Cap" I assume is the blue piece at the top of the float mechanism? I was going to try that, but it did not easily come off and I did not want to snap it off and then be stuck with replacing the full mechanism. Is there a secret to getting this cap off, or should I just go for it by gripping and ripping?
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

It is a bit difficult to remove. It really just kind of snaps on there so pry it off. Work one side then the other and it will come off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mike, That phase now done and tested, but still not improving the flow. I removed the Cap then I removed the head and turned the water back on. I put a cup over it at that point as I was expecting a big rush of water, but it came out at a moderate pace and the cup really wasn't necessary. There is another piece down in the tube that looks like a filter or low flow restrictor. Is this a piece that I can pull out somehow and see if this is where the restriction is at? It has a hole in the middle of it, so I can probably pop it out with needle nose pliers or ? but once again just don't want to break the whole component and have to deal with finding a replacement one tonight.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

That is the diaphragm that turns it on and off when the float comes up. So that was the easiest fix. Since that did not work then you will want to disconnect the supply line. Turn the water off and disconnect the supply line from the bottom of the tank. There is a screen there that may be causing the blockage. Also direct the supply line into a large bowl and turn the valve on and be sure it is not the water valve itself. Did the problem start after turning the valve off and then on again or did the problem start just randomly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put a new supply line on to start the process. It blows out full stream when tested and pointed into a bucket. I then hooked the supply line back up to the bottom of the tank and turned everything back on. Still had low flow issues and that is when I began this on-line help conversation. I have tried all that you recommended and still the same issue. Are you saying that I once again need to disconnect the supply line and that I will find a filter at the bottom of the tank that the supply line hooks into? If so, I don't mind going through the motions again, but I did not feel any type of a filter/screen when I did this the first time (Admittedly, I did not crank my head to look directly into that portion of the tank inlet as it is pretty tight against our wall. If this is the case, I will try and tackle it one more time and then it is time for the sledge hammer to come out and take care of the situation permanently! :)
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

If you want to save a bit of grief you could just replace the fill valve. It is only slightly more difficult than finding the restriction and they are only about $8. There is a screen there but it could have been taken out when it was installed. The water should have passed through when you removed the cap etc. When you removed the cap on the fill valve did you also remove the head part also or just the plastic cap part?

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

I would like to assume that the information was helpful but would very much like some confirmation from you.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful or is there any clarification needed?