How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marc Your Own Question
Marc, Plumber
Category: Plumbing
Satisfied Customers: 1594
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
Type Your Plumbing Question Here...
Marc is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Need advice on replacing a leaky toilet fill pipe, with

Customer Question

Need advice on replacing a leaky toilet fill pipe, with either shark bite or if room, MAP gas torch and copper pipe sleeved in. My plan is to turn off all water and pump into house, locate closest on/off valve to toilet and turn that off. turn on that
leaky valve and try to flush any excess water in line out, with pan under pipe, dismantle and remove toilet too for work space. Will cut tiles away from surrounded pipe and slice through sheetrock to access good pipe that can be pipe cut and joined with new
pipe. See pictures. Ideas wanted on good approach to this repair. I believe I need new wax ring to install toilet, and new valves and pipe. Shark bite or welded copper best?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Marc replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

Before you cut everything apart, consider this:

Shut the water off, drain it down the best as possible. disconnect the toilet supply tube from the valve to the toilet. then try placing a wrench or pliers on the valve and turning it to the left to loosen it. IT APPEARS in the pictures that this is a 3/8" chrome threaded nipple into the valve, although it is so corroded it is difficult to see if there is actually threads there or not. It is certainly worth investigating before cutting the wall open!

Expert:  Marc replied 1 year ago.

Additionally, if the tube begins to twist and not un-thread, stop. At this point, you will need to open the wall and replace within.

Expert:  Marc replied 1 year ago.

I truly believe this is a 3/8" threaded nipple as the toilet supply tube appears to be 1/2OD which was used back in the 60's and 70's. This would be before they came out with soldered supply valves like this. If this is the case, as I believe it is, then you can simply unthread and replace with a new 3/8" chrome nipple and 3/8" IPS by 3/8" compression toilet supply valve with a standard 3/8" x 12" toilet supply tube.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll give it a try today and tomorrow and see how far I get, and get back to you. I'm thinking the hard water may have corroded chrome pipe, time will tell.
Expert:  Marc replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good. Let me know!

Related Plumbing Questions