Plumbing

Plumbing Questions? Ask a Plumber and Get Answers ASAP.

Plumbing

My Bosch aquastar tankless HW heater does not fire. The

Customer Question
My Bosch aquastar tankless HW...
My Bosch aquastar tankless HW heater does not fire. The pilot goes on but the main burners do not ignite
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Plumbing
8/18/2015
Plumber: Rick, Construction Supervisor replied 2 years ago
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

I can link you to the troubleshooting guide for this type of issue. You'll need a multi-meter to troubleshoot this. The troubleshooting is too involved for me to tell you what to do here. It would take forever. Or are you just looking for some likely causes so you don't get hosed by a repair tech? Let me know if you want the guide. I can answer follow up questions if you have any while following the guide.

I have the guide from the manual but itt is not too helpful
If possible I woulld like to repair it myuself. I have good homeowner skills but live in a rural area where not many service techs available

I just noticed your model number. It looks like this model has a standing pilot so the service bulletin I was referring to doesn't apply here. The most common reason for the unit to not respond is a clogged inlet filter on the cold water inlet. Have you cleaned this filter/screen?

No, I have not cleaned the water filter, but the flow through is normal so I thought that was not the problem. Am I wrong?
BTW, it is a piezo ignitor. Come on when I run water but pilot shuts in 10 secs or so without igniting burner.

Cleaning the filter is the first thing you need to do whether you think the flow is good or not. It's also the easiest thing to do

OK, I will do that and get back to you when I am done.

I'm not going to be on much longer. If you don't get back to me in time just relist the question and one of our West Coast experts should pick it up. Or I can get back to you in the morning ~8 am EDT

If cleaning the filter doesn't work and you've tried cleaning the flame sensor (as described in the manual) then we're down to the water valve (not the shut offs). Thw water valve is what senses the water flow and modulates the burner flame accordingly. It is a maintenance item. Here is the service bulletin for rebuilding it

http://www.bosch-climate.us/files/201109161614460.CT-23_Water_valve_rebuild.pdf

You can also move on to item 7 in the manual, checking the voltage at the electro valve

The filter was clogged but also had a hole. I took it out but the problem was not solved.

Then you need to test the voltage as described above and possibly rebuild the water valve.

Rick
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor