Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience:  20 years of plumbing experience, including high end homes and service work.
64367226

My washer will drain, but not completely, and I've found

Customer Question

My washer will drain, but not completely, and I've found water leaked in the floor. I've checked the drain, drain hose, internal hoses, and the pump for clogs but have not found any. What else could be causing this problem?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike R. replied 2 years ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Is the water on the floor leaking from the drain pipe like it overflowed? Is this an older home?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is an older home but I checked that drain, it is not clogged.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 2 years ago.

How did you check it? Also you mentioned that there was water on the floor. Did the water look like it came from the drain pipe? Do you have the washer drain pipe stuck in the waste pipe or is it clamped?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I checked it visually. There was no water that ran down the side. I ran a cycle and watched the washer for the entire cycle after I noticed water in the floor the first time just to be sure. The leak is not from the drain. I have had to clear that drain before; I know exactly what to look for. Also, that would not explain why the washer is not draining completely. There is still water in the internal components after the cycle is finished. After I noticed the drain was clear I removed the drain hose from the back of the washer to check it for clogs. There were none there, but when I removed that hose a lot of water spilled into the floor. I have taken off the pump and checked it and all of its connecting hoses for clogs, but there were none there either.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 2 years ago.

This is a top loading washing machine? Is the pipe clamped to the waste pipe?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it's a top load washer. Every clamp I checked was a PAIN to remove, so yes there were all clamped and very secure.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 2 years ago.

It is likely getting air locked. Is this the original location for the washing machine or is it an addition?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you talking about the house itself? The house is a rental but I do believe the laundry room is an addition on the house.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 2 years ago.

Yes the laundry room. Does the drain for the washing machine come out of the floor or is it in the wall? Have you always had this problem or is it a new problem?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's in the floor. That drain has clogged before, but I've been able to clear it with drano. But it's different this time since it's not coming from the laundry room drain.
What about the water that remains in the washer after the cycle is finished? Is that normal?
Expert:  Mike R. replied 2 years ago.

No. It is not normal. Drano is bad and will just move a clog further down the drain and harden. Where is the water that you found on the floor? Is it like the drain overflowed a bit or is it coming from the machine?

Expert:  Mike R. replied 2 years ago.

The washing machine drain is likely not vented since it is an addition. When the pipe is clamped to the drain and there is not a vent it will get air locked. When the machine cannot pump the water out it will run the cycle then stop. There also may be a clog down stream now and it may take a while to back up and spill out. If the drain is clamped on tight then it likely leaks at the clamp on the drain hose where it clamps onto the machine.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's more like it's coming from the machine from what I can tell. I didn't find any water on the drain pipe or from the floor directly beside it.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 2 years ago.

So if it is clamped onto the drain pipe it will back up into the hose and not leak on the drain pipe. It is likely leaking from where the pipe clamps to the machine.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's an open pipe at the top of the drain pipe. There is a clamp to keep it in place but it's not air tight. When it has over flowed in the past, the water has come right over the top.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 2 years ago.

Where do you find water?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
On the laundry room floor. And in the internal hoses of the washer. Not by the drain pipe. Not this time.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 2 years ago.

Do you hear any gurgling when it is draining?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nothing out of the ordinary.
I'll be honest, I really don't think it's the drain. But if it is the drain, what do you recommend since you say drano is no good?
Expert:  Mike R. replied 2 years ago.

The drain should be snaked out. Also the drain very likely does not have a vent which would cause it to back up when it gets air locked. It may not happen every time and it probably splashes out on occasion. It wouldn't do it every time. As long as the hose is made to be loose in the pipe and let a little bit of air in then that may help. It may be connected to the kitchen drain and in that case if there is a studor vent on the kitchen then the vent on the kitchen would serve the washer if it is piped correctly. Then the studor vent would need replacing.

Expert:  Mike R. replied 2 years ago.

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?