Plumbing

Plumbing Questions? Ask a Plumber and Get Answers ASAP.

Plumbing

I think I have a Grohe 34 436 shower valve. It is leaking

Customer Question
I am Don. I think...
I am Don. I think I have a Grohe 34 436 shower valve. It is leaking out of the slotted screw head hole just to the right of the cartridge. Can you help me on how do I fix this leak?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Plumbing
8/17/2015
Plumber: Mike R., Plumber replied 2 years ago
Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Does it only leak when you run the shower? Is this an older valve or newer?

on both.
Older

The leak is likely coming from the shower head neck. The shower neck is screwed into a fitting inside the wall. With time the threads where it threads into the fitting will crack. Two of the most common causes of this are from adjusting the shower head angle and also if you have one of those hangy things for shampoo etc. hanging from the neck. Anyway you will need some teflon tape to investigate. Grab the neck and turn it counter clockwise and unscrew it from the wall. Look at the threads and see if the ends of the threads are broken off. Look inside the fitting with a flashlight and see if any of the neck broke off inside the fitting. If it did no worries. You can either pry it out with a small screwdriver or there is a tool at Lowes and Home Depot that is made for removing broken necks out of the fitting like this click here. Wrap the new shower neck with teflon tape on the threads going clockwise about 5 or 6 revolutions and screw the neck in about 5 revolutions. That should fix the issue. It is currently leaking and dripping down inside the wall while running the shower and the water is bouncing off the the valve body in the wall and leaking out the screw.

I haven't heard from you. Was the information I provided helpful?

Mike R.
Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber