Hauserplb
Hauserplb, Plumber
Experience:  Over 20 years experience. Third generation
25685634

I had to turn my well of yesterday to do some work on the

Customer Question

I had to turn my well of yesterday to do some work on the well. After I was complete and turned the well back on the pressure tank would not build pressure. If I turn the manual knob on the pressure control the pressure builds to 10 psi and I have low pressure at faucets. Once I let go of the manual pressure it immediately goes back to 0 psi. I just replaced the pressure gauge and also the pressure control box and it's still doing the same thing. What is wrong and what can I do?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Hauserplb replied 2 years ago.

Just so I understand, the pump only operates when you manually trigger the pressure switch?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Correct
Expert:  Hauserplb replied 2 years ago.

Using a 5/16 (might be 3/8) nut driver, can you adjust the spring tension on the pressure switch to determine if it will trigger at all?

Expert:  Hauserplb replied 2 years ago.

Also, do you have any way to shut off the line so that you can isolate just the pump equipment from the rest of the house? (I guessing there is a leak of some kind, but where is a question)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried to tighten the spring tension screw and it didnt do anything. I dont know how I can isolate the pump equipment.
Expert:  Hauserplb replied 2 years ago.

Do you have a model number for the switch?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is a square D by schneider electric, catalog No. FSG2J21M4CP, complete contact replacement kit: 9998PC-241... not sure if this is what your looking for.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just put that on today, brand new...
Expert:  Hauserplb replied 2 years ago.
ok, so you just replaced the cont actors then? no the entire pressure switch?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Entire pressure switch.
Expert:  Hauserplb replied 2 years ago.

The only time I've seen a situation like yours, is when the pressure switch gets debris in it. I strongly suggest the low pressure and bleed down are a seperate issue, probably a leak in your line. Most common spots for that are on the verticle line running down to the pump, and any couplings/fittings in the line.

Expert:  Hauserplb replied 2 years ago.

As far as debris goes, if the pump sits close to the bottom of the well, it can suck up sand/etc... or if you have galvanised piping, rust could be an issue.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The maintenance I completed yesterday was to lift the pump off the bottom a couple feet to keep iron and rust to a minimum. After I put the pitless adapter back is when the problem started. How can you tell if there is a leak in thevertical line other than digging up the line? The problem appears to me is that the pressure switch is not asking for water unless I manually force it to. I have 10 psi during my manual agitation. It just doesnt seem to be getting the communicated cut in pressure... dont know if that helps.
Expert:  Hauserplb replied 2 years ago.

The pressure switch not asking calling for water is where I'm thinking your debris issue it. If it was in the switch itself, it could keep the switch from actuating. ie calling for water. If you can trigger the pump on and listen down the well head, you can many times hear water spraying in the well shaft (inless the leak is under water) the buried section will need to be dug up. Simplest way to determine these issues is to pull the pump and air test the lines.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just checked in the well and water was almost shooting from the pitless to the top of the well. You think it might just be the seal on the pitless?
Expert:  Hauserplb replied 2 years ago.

very possible, I've seen the rubber on those go bad.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The only other thing is the water doesnt seem to be shooting out of pitless or be called tonl presssure tank unless I manually "ask" for water
Expert:  Hauserplb replied 2 years ago.
That goes back to the pressure switch being clogged. Only when you manually trip it is there any pressure to expose the leak.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That would still happe even if I put a brand new pressure switch on ? and I tried to clean in the pipe under the presssure switch when I removed it and also under the pressure gauge when I replaced that also... where could a clog be then?
Expert:  Hauserplb replied 2 years ago.
I've seen switches get clogged right when the pump gets kicked on. I've also seen brand new switches that are bad right out of the box. Most of the time a clog happens because debris is swept down the pipe when the pump is kicked on, so it can occur even with the best diligence. I'd remove the pressure switch and trigger the pump to flush the line.