Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

I am replacing a flush valve in a Kohler 2-piece toilet. I…

Customer Question
I am replacing a flush...
I am replacing a flush valve in a Kohler 2-piece toilet. I purchased a new Kohler triangular gasket (mentioned in the Fluidmaster instructions). I redid my work twice, but I am still getting "ghosting". I must be missing something. I have closely inspected the Fluidmaster valve and flapper with magnification. I saw nothings amiss. Is there a part not included with the Kohler gasket that I need to employ? I have seen a gasket on the rack of my local Home Depot store - is that what I should add.
There are no leaks from the toilet - just a loss of tank level.
Let me know if I should start again with all Kohler parts which seem to be abundantly available on the Internet. This is not a matter of cost at this point, but one of face.
While you are at it, where could I just buy the flushing half of a Kohler (with everything set) and how much would it cost?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Plumbing
8/7/2015
Plumber: Rick, Construction Supervisor replied 2 years ago
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor

Depending on the model of your toilet you can get the tank at any plumbing supply house that sells Kohler IF the model is still in production. You're probably better off with original Kohler parts but if you made the lock nut on the flush valve up tight (with the gasket inside the tank under the flush valve) and the flapper is seating properly then you shouldn't be getting any leakage from the tank into the bowl. The triangle gasket only makes the connection between tank and bowl tight. It doesn't keep water in the tank.

Did not understand. I'll continue to try elsewhere.

What don't you understand?