How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rick Your Own Question
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Category: Plumbing
Satisfied Customers: 21805
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
Type Your Plumbing Question Here...
Rick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I've been trying to correct a leaking 2 valve Nibco hot

Customer Question

I've been trying to correct a leaking 2 valve Nibco hot water valve for 8 years. The aftermarket valves either don't fit correctly or there is something else amiss.
Nibco no longer makes or supports the residential market any longer. I wonder if there is ONE possible source that may still have an OEM valve assy??
More below...
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.

I don't get your description of the Nibco valve. Is it a shower valve? a wall hydrant? something else?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is a 2 valve, plastic cartridge type shower faucet with diverter on the faucet spigot. I've replaced 4 different brands of cartridges to no avail. I'm beginning to think the only recourse it to rip the whole Nibco assy. out replacing with a current brand that is still properly supported.I can NOT see where or how the water bypasses the valve/cartridge causing the leak.
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.

You mentioned "dressing the seats". That could be the point where the water is seeping by. Unless you have a model number for your valve there's no place online that will be able to provide replacement parts. Using anything other than OEM part seldom works. You could try calling

If these guys can't get it then it's not available. Perhaps replacing the valve is the best option. If you're concerned about messing with tile on the wall then you can use a cover plate to make a big enough hole to work in. Then the plate covers the hole. We routinely replace valves using this method. You're probably better off with a new pressure balancing valve anyway. See attached for a pic of the cover plate

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mentioning the press. balance valve and cover plate you've a different style valve in mind. This is a simple, 2 handle, plastic valve cartridge style for the faucet/shower. The diverter is the pull up style on the spigot. In essence, the valve cartridge is similar to a ball valve. The cartridge is too short to actually 'bottom' out like a compression style valve would. Looking at the cartridges, it appears the O-ring is the actual seal against a lip inside the threaded opening.Please see the video for the same model I have. the two valves approx. 12" apart behind a fiberglass tub surround, I'd have to tear into the wall and Lord knows what all to replace these POS Nibco parts with something else.
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.

I'm quite familiar with 2 handle tub/shower valves I've literally replaced hundreds of them with a new pressure balance valve. My reference to a pressure balancing valve was for a complete replacement. You'd have to cut out the old valve and pipe in a new one. And like I said before you make a hole a bit smaller than the cover plate and work through that hole. It's plenty of room. And like I said before Chicago faucet is your best bet for parts.

Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.

But if this was my call I wouldn't waste any more time on this piece of junk Nibco valve

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I agree the Nibco thing is a piece of junk. Still confused how/where/why it continues to leak but I've a ridiculous water bill because of it. Because of the drought conditions here in Calif., the local utility has "water police" that actually monitor the water meters looking for residents with high consumption or signs of leaks and levying fines accordingly. I am already being penalized for higher than normal consumption.Is there a particular brand and model you would recommend. And why??
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.

For standard replacements we use American Standard

With Colony Trim

This valve has a ceramic cartridge and lifetime warranty form American Standard against leaks.

If you go to a plumbing supply house that sells American Standard you can often get this as a package. And a supply house is your best bet for a cover plate

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Alright, I'll look for a local vendor pick one up. Looks like I've something to do this weekend.Thanks for your time, regards,
Dan Learned
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.

You're welcome! I'd appreciate a favorable rating