How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Hauserplb Your Own Question
Hauserplb, Plumber
Category: Plumbing
Satisfied Customers: 340
Experience:  Over 20 years experience. Third generation
Type Your Plumbing Question Here...
Hauserplb is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I install a Kohler 87998 flush valve kit on a Kohler

Customer Question

How do I install a Kohler 87998 flush valve kit on a Kohler K3323 toilet?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike R. replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. If you turn the water off and flush and hold the handle to empty the tank, then remove the flapper, do you see a nut inside the hole where the flapper would be? Like a large toggle bolt?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is a one-piece Kohler toilet; it does not have a toggle bolt. The flush valve consists of a tube with a round bottom; there are three prongs on the bottom of the tube in a triangle shape (two of which are at the end of the tube and the third at the far end). There is room to mount a round rubber gasket on top of the three prongs. A rubber flapper attaches to the top of the base of the tube. The hole in the toilet in which the tube mounts is an oblong shape--smaller where the tube sits and larger at the far end of the tube. I assume you need to rotate the flush valve in the hole but at not sure exactly how to do this.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I am pretty sure that the whole assembly turns then releases but I am not certain. I will opt out and open to other experts. I think I have a Santa Rosa toilet I can look at tomorrow so if there has been no response by then I will be able to answer with certainty tomorrow.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks; I will check for a response tomorrow. Also will you see if you need to coat the rubber gasket with something to make it easier to turn when the unit is installed.
Expert:  Hauserplb replied 2 years ago.
Yes the entire assembly has to be rotated to get it locked in place. removing the fill valve will make this whole process alot easier. You can coat the gasket with either victaulic lube or teflon past to make it go together easier.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do plumbing supply stores carry victaulic lube and teflon paste?
Expert:  Hauserplb replied 2 years ago.
Yep both. The teflon paste will probably be more useful for you going forward with future projects.
Expert:  Hauserplb replied 2 years ago.