Plumbing

Plumbing Questions? Ask a Plumber and Get Answers ASAP.

Plumbing

Insinkerator model 15 has power but wont run, its not olugged

Customer Question
or jammed, it appears to...
insinkerator model 15 has power but wont run, its not olugged or jammed, it appears to be something to do with the sing stopper that engages the motor?? resetbutton not tripped
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Plumbing
7/26/2015
Plumber: Mike R., Plumber replied 2 years ago
Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Does it make a click or anything at all when trying to engage with the stopper? How did you check for power?
it is hard wired into a switch, and have slowly been having trouble with the stopper switch engaging over a few weeks. reset had not been blown but did push it just in case , no breakers blown on panel
So you have a wall switch that you use and also use the stopper switch?
wall switch just provides power to the unit, does not automatically engage the disposal
Right, but usually that type of disposal is if there is not a switch. So you do have a wall switch and also the magnetic stopper that activate the disposal? You turn the switch on then turn the stopper to turn the disposal on? No humming or clicking? How did you confirm there is power when the switch is on?
thatis correct, the wall switch is left in the on position 90% of the time, and sthe stopper switch is used on a regular basis, the switch that operates the disposal is on the same circuit as other kitcken appliances, that currently work, i believe the problem lies with the stopper switch, as we have had some trouble having it engage.
So when you jiggle the stopper it will start sometimes or it did do that? If you look at the stopper, are any of the knobs worn out like they may not be making contact? How old is the disposal and what model 15 is it?
insinkerator model 15-18, stopper does not look worn, unit approx 5 years old
Is it Excel, Essential, Premier or Septic Assist? I think there are a couple other names it may be. Does it have a model name like that?
Also if you wiggle the stopper does it sometimes work or start or is there never any reaction at all?
emerson is the only other name i see, in the past it would work whe you wiggled the stopper but now nothing
The reason I ask about the model name is ***** ***** lot of those models have at least a 5 year parts and labor warranty from the date of installation. The least is 4 years and some of them have 7 years. It does sound like the switch in the disposal is shorted. Have you ever replaced the stopper or is that the original?
says two year in home warranty, and no stopper has never been replaced
Well, you have a couple of choices. If you are quite handy you could replace the stopper switch. That would cost about $40 or $50 or remove the whole switch assembly and drain assembly and replace with a standard drain assembly and then just use the wall switch. That would cost about $25, or replace the whole disposal with a new one which would be about $100.
Mike R.
Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber