Hauserplb
Hauserplb, Plumber
Experience:  Over 20 years experience. Third generation
25685634

There is a smell under my kitchen sink when I open the cabinet. It not sewer gas, its jus

Customer Question

there is a smell under my kitchen sink when I open the cabinet. It not sewer gas, its just a funky smell. When I run the dishwasher it gets hot and humid under the sink. I don't even want to run the dishwasher. But if I don't it stinks. The drain hose wasn't plumbed correctly and I'm in a rent house. Can I dry out the dishwasher and disconnect the drain hose from the disposal and seal it up? How can I get rid of the smell under the cabinet?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Hauserplb replied 2 years ago.
If it's getting hot and humid, then you have a leak of some kind, probably a open vent line. yes you can disconnect the dishwasher, simply pull the hose loose from the disposal, kink it over like a garden hose and clamp it shut, (hose clamps work best) Same thing for the inlet on the disposal, you can get a short peice of hose to fit it from most any hardware store, just follow the same procedure for kinking the hose off and attach it to the inlet.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the dishwasher is cheap and has no insulation so when it gets hot it sweats. If I don't run the dishwasher how can I prevent it from stinking?
Expert:  Hauserplb replied 2 years ago.
drain it as best you can, and take the filter out of the bottom, and get all the water you can out of the sump well in the bottom. Then bleach it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I dry it out with a fan?
Expert:  Hauserplb replied 2 years ago.
There will probably be around a gallon of water in it, so dishing it out as much as possible would be best. But yes if you think you can get enough air movement to it, it will eventually dry.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What can I use to get rid of the funky smell in the fake wood under the sink? I don't want to get it too wet as I think that will cause more problems such as mold growth.
Expert:  Hauserplb replied 2 years ago.
You can use numerous kinds of cleaners, many have anti-mold properties, you can also use a lye based cleaner and baking powder to keep the area fresh.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I pulled the bottom spray arm on the dishwasher (Whirlpool model) and there is no easy access to the sump. There is an assembly with many screws.
Expert:  Hauserplb replied 2 years ago.
If you could get me a pic I could guide you better.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Here is a pic of the bottom of the dishwasher with the spray bar removed. How do I dissamble it to drain out the water?
Expert:  Hauserplb replied 2 years ago.
Well, you're particular unit, you will have to take those screws out, most units anymore can be easily taken apart, yours...well, not so much. Those are torx screws also, so you'll have to purchase a set of those bits. They aren't expensive, you can find them at most any auto parts store.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
can I run bleach through the dishwasher to eliminate odors? I tried vinegar and it didn't worlk.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you recommend a good dishwasher cleaner product to eliminate odors?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is the filter below this assembly or does it have a food disposer that doesn't need cleaning?
Expert:  Hauserplb replied 2 years ago.
The filter is right there in the bottom, it keeps large debris out of the pump. Yes you can use bleach, the pump assembly is stainless steel and plastic. That will do about as good a job as anything for smell.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Going back to your first reply, what is an open vent line and how can I find it and fix it? I'm not sure I have a leak. Its only when I run the dishwasher on hot water boost that this happens. It is a builder grade dishwasher with a thin plastic tub and no insulation.
Expert:  Hauserplb replied 2 years ago.
if it were a vent leak, it would be under the cabinet, where the drain ties into the house piping. probably on the back wall.