Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience:  20 years of plumbing experience, including high end homes and service work.
64367226

Need to remove the handle on a grohmix shower control

Customer Question

need to remove the handle on a grohmix shower control
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Mike R. replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. Do you know the model and do you know if it is Grohe or Hans Grohe?
Expert:  Mike R. replied 2 years ago.
If it is the Grohe version then the center cap comes off and there is a screw under the cap.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there is a plastic temperature ring, and a handle under that. I can not get the temperature ring off. Do you know how? that's the only way of getting the handle off.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 2 years ago.
Do you know the model that it is or if it is Grohe or Hans Grohe? Grohe is made in Mexico and Hans Grohe is made in Germany. The temperature ring is separate from the handle or like a cap on the handle? If it is a cap on the handle about the size of a silver dollar then it will screw off or pry off.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it's a grohe. i can send a photo if that helps
Expert:  Mike R. replied 2 years ago.
Yes that would be great.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Here ya go
Expert:  Mike R. replied 2 years ago.
There is not a screw in the middle? Did you already remove the sleeve?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there is no screw in the middle. The gray plastic part does not seem to slip off.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 2 years ago.
I have installed that model before. I believe it is Hansgrohe. I am almost sure it just pulls off. No screw or set screw.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i tried easily and hard to pull that off. It is not budging. There must be something simple that I am missing...
Expert:  Mike R. replied 2 years ago.
It's harder also because there are Hansgrohe and Grohe models that are similar but go together slightly different. When you pull on it you would push the button in first and pull. Also there is another one that is similar that has a clip in it that holds it in place. On that one you would take the clip out to remove it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have 34 458, according to the Grohe specialist.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 2 years ago.
There should be a screw right in the middle.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there was a screw that I removed. However, now it's as it is. There is no other screw here.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 2 years ago.
Now that the screw is out it will come off. You may have to give it a wiggle while you pull.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i tried. i dont want to break it.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 2 years ago.
When you wiggle it does it seem loose at all?
Expert:  Mike R. replied 2 years ago.
They can be tough to get off sometimes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no. if it had wiggle, i would have pried if off.
Expert:  Mike R. replied 2 years ago.
I am not sure what else to say. It should come off now. I will opt out and open to other experts.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thx