Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

I have a Kenmore econizer 6 water heater. It keeps going into

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore econizer 6 water heater. It keeps going into vacation mode. I keep turning it off and then back on to ignite it. Then set it to my desired temp. How do I turn off the vacation mode so I am not surprised with cold showers? There is no rhyme or reason to this. This has been going on for over a month. I can go days with it running perfectly and then have to reset it. Today I have done it 3 times.
Category: Plumbing
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have attached a picture of the light panel.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Here is what I just found in the online manual regarding the lights that are lit on the panel.
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help with your issue.
This is a generic flame rectification (sensing)failure. Do you still need help? If so are you comfortable working inside the combustion chamber?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Even though the gas valve keeps resetting and going to vacation mode you think it's the flame sensor?Yes - I am comfortable in trying to fix it and the combustion chamber.Can you please tell me what steps to take?
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
The flame sensor is one possible culprit. When you reboot the heater does it fire up? does the igniter glow?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it does. Sometimes it stays and other times it stops and I get the error ligtts.
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Ok, you need to unplug the unit then remove the access panel to the burner compartment. You should vacuum out the chamber since any stray rust flake could short out the flame sensor. You can also clean off the flame sensor with fine sandpaper or steel wool. The flame sensor has a single wire connected (unlike the igniter which has 2), has a ceramic insulator and a small diameter metal rod which should be positioned in the burner flame. You want to clean the oxidation off the rod. Take care to not move anything out of position when you vacuum or clean the rod.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I will try this. Thank you!
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome!