Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

Every time I flushed the toilet my bathtub starts to fill with…

Customer Question
Every time I flushed the...
Every time I flushed the toilet my bathtub starts to fill with water. Previously when I was washing a load of clothes, the tub filled up with water also
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Plumbing
6/18/2015
Plumber: Phil, Mechanical Engineer. replied 3 years ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer.
Welcome.
There is a clog down stream of where the bath tub connects to the sewer line.
Tell me about how handy you are, and if you are able to locate a sewer line clean out ( wye fitting with a plug in it)... or if you would be inclined to remove the toilet and run a snake from there or not.
The clog could be waste debris, or a tree root problem... if its just waste you might be able to handle it.
If it is tree roots, you will most likely have to call in a plumber with a machine that inspects the sewer line with a camera, so he can send a rotating root cutter down the main 4" sewer line to cut the roots out.
The older the home is, and more trees and shrubs around, the more likely there is a tree root problem.
Let me know what you think, we can go from there as needed, without a time limit... unless you rate negatively, that closes the question.
-------
We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge.
.