Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

I have a Rheem water heater that keeps shutting off. It is

Customer Question

I have a Rheem water heater that keeps shutting off. It is a 50 gallon EverKleen. It has a front pamela with 6 lights. (Intell-vent; White Rogers). I turn off the main power switch wait for 5 minutes and it reignites for a while, then shuts off.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help with your issue.

Which LED's are lit when it shuts down? how long does the burner fire before it shuts down?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When down, vacation is green and A&B are yellow. Not sure how long it runs. I had hot water last night after turning the main switch off and on. Cold water this morning.
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Ok, this is a flame rectification (sensing) error. The most common cause is a dirty or grounded (by rust flakes or other debris) flame sensor.
graphic

If you want to try to fix this yourself you can clean the oxidation off of the metal rod on the flame sensor with fine steel wool or an aggressive Scotch Brite pad. Also vacuum out the combustion chamber since a rust flake bridging the burner and the sensor can cause this error. Take care to not move the sensor out of position if you decide to clean it off.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What is the combustion chamber
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.

Where the burner is. If you're not comfortable working in where the burner is then you might want to leave this repair to a pro.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know where the burner is
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Then perhaps you should leave this to a pro. The burner is at the bottom of the tank. There is a removable access panel below the intellivent control that has to be removed to access the chamber.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where is the sensor located
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
It's in the combustion chamber.