Nathan Marshall, MP
Nathan Marshall, MP, Master Plumber
Experience:  I am a licensed Master Plumber, Drain Cleaing Specialist, HVAC Tech and Radiant Heat Expert.
76430685

When I turn on the hot water, i suddenly hear a click and

Customer Question

When I turn on the hot water, i suddenly hear a click and the water stops flowing. It sometimes also stops when I have the hot and cold water on and I try to turn up the hot water. How do I fix that? I just had the stem replaced.
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
What is the brand and model of the faucet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is an old faucet. Perhaps made in the late 50's. It is a tub faucet. I cannot quite remember. It is not a well known brand.
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
I can't give you an answer that would be specific to a given model without knowing what that model is. I'm going to open this backup to my colleagues maybe one of them can help. Please don't respond (even to acknowledge this post)until you get a response from us. If you respond first it will only delay your answer.
Expert:  Nathan Marshall, MP replied 2 years ago.
Without more specific information, going on what I have, I am guessing the new cartridge that you installed is equipped with scald guard technology, meaning that if the water coming from your water heater is too hot, it is designed to snap closed to prevent scalding. What is the temperature of your water heater? You can use a turkey thermometer at another tap to get a pretty accurate temperature. If your water is too hot, you can turn it down and see if that solves your problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What lower temperature can it be set?