Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

We have a second floor toilet that is leaking onto the

Customer Question
ceiling on the first floor...
We have a second floor toilet that is leaking onto the ceiling on the first floor. We have not flushed the toilet since 5/26 and the spot in our dining room is still wet.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Plumbing
5/31/2015
Plumber: Phil, Mechanical Engineer. replied 3 years ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer.
Hello, those can be nasty situations.
Lets hope that a puddle built up and for that reason it has not had time to evaporate.
Be aware that in that case, the entire wet area could fall out of the ceiling on the first floor.
Let me know a lot about how handy you are what tools and skill sets you have and I can coach you to a solution in the most effective way possible.
.
We are pretty handy and have tools that should be needed, I am assuming. The floor around the toilet has never been wet, but we did replace the wax seal just incase but have not seen improvement on the ceiling below. The spot is about the size of an orange but doesn't seem to be growing, just doesn't dry. We did plunge the toilet about 3 days prior to noticing the stain on the ceiling
Thanks, all that points to some sort of ongoing water leak.
If you are sure it is not a leaking wax seal, you will have to investigate the leak, if not you could very likely end up with a serious mold problem that could spread to the rest of the house.
If the ceiling is sheet rock you will end up having to replace a 16 inch wide section in any event.
I suggest that you cut the part that is wet out. then you can feel around until you find the floor joists of the second floor on each side. then cut a 12 inch long by 16" wide section of the sheet rock away...and inspect for the source of the leak.
If it is an older lath and plaster ceiling the approach is similar.
Look that over, let me know what you think, we can go from there.
.
We cut out just the water damaged area and directly above the spot is a connection for a copper pipe and it has a very, very slow drip coming from where the copper pipe connection would be soldered together.
Good work!
If the hole you cut out does not need to be any larger you can glue a 1 x 4" board, 12 inches long, above the hole when you are done, then fit a sheet rock patch of the same thickness where the hole is with construction adhesive on the top after the board adhesive dries. then finish with sheet rock mud and sanding. then paint.
-----------
We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge.
.
What are your suggestions on how to fix the leak?
fixing such a leak can be tricky business.
If you can get some very clear shots of the leak and 12" of pipe on either side of it, I will take a look at it for you.
Use the 'attach files' link at the lower left of your reply box to send it to me.
We can go from there.