Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

My bath tub(1 of two) in my townhouse is not draining properly…

Customer Question
my bath tub(1 of two)...
my bath tub(1 of two) in my townhouse is not draining properly after I shower,now now there is an odd odor in the bath room. water flow in sink ok, toilet water level ok
the other bathroom tub ok.
it could be hair although I had months ago started using a strainer type catcher over the drain lever.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Plumbing
5/28/2015
Plumber: Plmqwk, Master Plumber replied 2 years ago
Plmqwk
Plmqwk, Master Plumber
Welcome to Just Answer. I will do my best to fully answer your question(s).
The drain is still likely clogged with hair and soap scum build up that when it becomes big enough will cause a slow drain And even odors.
You can try a couple options:
First, if you remove the overflow plate. This is located on the vertical portion of the tub wall just below the tub filler spout. (usually 2 screws, maybe only one). If you wet a small rag and tuck it in the opening tightly then fill the tub with a few inches of water begin to use a plunger back and forth over the drain outlet to loosen the clog. Often times it will come backwards back into the tub itself and this is a good this so you can throw it away in the garbage.
2nd, if that doesnt work you can purchase an inexpensive hand snake to rod the drain and remove the hair as well. You will want to insert the snake back and forth in/out multiple times to remove the entire clog.
This is a bit messier than the 1st option but depending on the extent of the clog may be more productive. Usually a tub drain clog is located near the outlet of the tub or in its trap way about 12-15" away but it can also be a pipe clog further away. The latter will take a bit more patience as it will have to be snaked further and longer.
In addition I will add that Most "drain cleaners" only add to the clogging problem not solve them. Once the drain is cleaned out and working properly there are enzyme products that you can use in ALL piping to help them remain clean. These products do not harm piping or the environment in any way like most cleaners can.
I see that you reviewed my answer to your question.
Did my explanation help you or do you have any further questions regarding the issue?
If so please let me know. And if not please rate me according to how well you feel I assisted you.
Thank you!
Plmqwk
Plmqwk
Plmqwk, Master Plumber