Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

I installed a new sprayer on my kitchen sink to replace the…

Customer Question
I installed a new sprayer...
I installed a new sprayer on my kitchen sink to replace the original. Now when I use the sprayer the faucet or some portion of the plumbing squeals/whines and I can't figure out why this is.
The installation of the replacement sprayer was very straight forward and seemed to be easy enough and seemed to have no issues, no leaks, and works just fine other than the squealing/whining.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Plumbing
5/27/2015
Plumber: Rick, Construction Supervisor replied 2 years ago
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
This only happens when you use the sprayer?
Yes.
Then this sounds like an issue with the diverter in the faucet. I'd need brand and model of the faucet to give you specifics on how to get to it
I thought it might be just when I used the sprayer when the faucet was turned to hot water and I thought it might stop once the water in the line heated up, but I found that it seems to do it all the time. It isn't as bad if I reduce the water pressure, but then the water pressure from the sprayer is reduced as well which isn't always helpful.
It is a single handle faucet.
Same answer. I need brand and model if you want specifics. If you can't provide that info, in almost every case (there are a few rare exceptions) the diverter is accessed by removing the spout.
It is a Delta faucet, similar to a model # ***** but it was installed about 13 years ago during the original build and I can't find the model information anywhere.
OK, you have to remove the spout. To do that you have to remove the handle and unscrew the dome shaped bonnet cap. Once that's off the spout will just pull up and off. Swinging it from side to side as you pull up makes it easier to get off. Diverter is right on the front of the faucet body. Use the tip of a jack knife to pop/pry it out. It's a really good idea to replace the spout o-rings while you have it apart. Put some silicone grease on the o-rings before you put the spout back.
Okay, I'll give it a shot--thank you. I'll let you know if that does the trick.
Thank you, Rick.
You're welcome
Rick
Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor