Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

We have a lake home and draw water from the lake. We have replaced

Customer Question

We have a lake home and draw water from the lake. We have replaced the pump, pressure switch, pressure tank, shortened the line to the lake and still when having a shower and someone flushes the toilet or runs a tap the pressure goes to zero. Cannt figure out the problem
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Does the pump come on when the "pressure" drops to zero? Does it actually drop to zero on the gauge?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
No to both questions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No pump does not come on and yes drops to zero
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Did you replace all the piping around the tank and into the pressure switch? Do the contacts on the pressure switch close?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No didn't replace piping and contacts close
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
If the contacts close then the pump should come on. If it doesn't this is an electrical issue not a plumbing issue. Do you have a multi-meter? Have you checked voltage to the pump when the contacts are closed? Also voltage feeding the switch?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, is that in the control panel? That's the only thing we have not changed.
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure what you mean by a control panel. Every system I have seen that draws water from a lake or something similar uses a shallow well pump not a submersible. I've never seen a control panel on a shallow well pump, only on submersibles in a very deep well. Sounds like you need to have the electrical side of your system checked out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We have a submersible in lake. Control panel for it in house.
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Ok, then was the control panel replaced? Has anyone checked it out? You still need to have the electrical side of the system checked out. If you have a multi-meter I can probably walk you through (some of) it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes we have multi meter. Control panel ever changed - 19 yrs old
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Well, Check the voltage into and out of the switch. If you have 240 v into and out of the switch along with your description I'd suspect the control panel
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome