Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

New installation - Rinnai R75LSe - propane. Will not

Customer Question

Hello - new installation - Rinnai R75LSe - propane. Will not ignite. Power is tested and going to unit. Propane is tested and going to unit. Water connections tested. all dip switces left at factory settings (off) Controller is the basic MC-91. not giving any error codes. This is a brand new unit. any suggestions to troubleshoot?
Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Does the ignition sequence initialize?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so I get 10 minutes? and this question took 5 minutes? "Does the ignition sequence initialize?"
this isn't a great start but no there is no response (btw my response took 30 seconds)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It doesn't even try to ignite
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Do you have the hot & cold lines crossed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no - checked that
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Did you check for a crossover? Also I know it's a new install but you should also check the inlet screen. Turning the water back on can stir up a lot of sediment that clings to the inside of the pipes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I could send a pic of the open unit...
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Ok You can post a picture here by clicking on the paper clip icon in the tool bar at the top of this dialogue box. You can only post from a PC or a Mac not a phone or a tablet. If that doesn’t work for you then you can upload a pic to a file sharing service likehttp://tinypic.com/ OR https://www.dropbox.comand post the “share” link to your picture here or you can email the pic to customer service but the last option can take quite a while to get to me. Click on the CONTACT US link to contact customer service..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what do you mean by "a crossover?
new install ---debris is a possibility -- is the screen inside the inlet pipe?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ill be right back with a pic...
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Cross over is cold water crossing over to the hot. The inlet filter is cap on the side of the cold inlet fitting at the bottom of the unit
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hmmm don't see a paper clip icon...
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Are you on a phone or a tablet?
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Upload the pic to a file sharing service then post the share link here. Although I don't know what purpose a pic will serve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Android but uploaded to PC via dropbox -- I can share with your email...
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
I can't get email from you. You can post the share link here or email it to customer service (review my instruction above)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
"Cross over is cold water crossing over to the hot." how would this happen?"The inlet filter is cap on the side of the cold inlet fitting at the bottom of the unit" --the black rubber cap?
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Review your install instructions for the cap location. Lots of ways for a crossover to happen (defective faucet/shower valve, washing machine solenoid valve to name 2). You need a shut off on the hot water line out of the heater to test for this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The shower valve is installed but not finished - I will open the tub spigot and insure that the valve is off currently the shower and tub are capped.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
should i proceed w/that and get back to you? (probably 10 minutes)
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
You still need a shut off on the hot out of the heater to check for thsi
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
here is the link to images: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vdxn6ixd79l4fy3/AACINxVUNfL7HcVc022kNBRya?dl=0
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't currently have a shutoff on the hot side out of the heater...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
but could install one...
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Then if the inlet filter isn't dirty or if you have the same problem after cleaning it then you'll need to install one to test for a crossover
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Also I assume you're running something other than a sink to check this out. You need adequate flow to make it work. Filling a tub will give you the best flow. You need at least .5 gpm to activate the unit
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
okay I will do those three things:
1. check inlet filter
2. insure shower mixer valve is off
3. install hot shut off at heater
is there a way to continue this with you after I complete these items?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
but it *should* work with a sink faucet...
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Just come back to this thread it won't go away. Once you install the shut off on the hot, turn it off then open every hot water (only) faucet in the house. If you have any flow after 5 minutes you have a crossover somewhere. Yes it should work with just a sink but since it's not filling a tub would eliminate the possibility of an inadequate flow issue. Often slow flow from a sink isn't enough
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
this is a small apartment -- 1 bath w/sink, toilet and shower. 1 kitchen sink (currently capped)
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Ok, but that doesn't change anything. If the flow you have is inadequate it won't fire up.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
okay - thanks so much - this is helpful - I will return here when I finish.
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
OK
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Rick
Done:
1. check inlet filter -- clean
2. insure shower mixer valve is off -- off
3. install hot shut off at heater -- installed and left unconnected to system (heater is outdoors) - with water on good flow through the valve...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
oh I see... I need to connect it to system to finish your instructions - will do...
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
That's not what I aid to do to check for a cross over. You need to finish hooking up the valve then shut it off. Then open every hot water faucet in the house (only the hot water)and leave them open. If the faucets still have flow after 5 minutes you have a crossover.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was just connecting the system and had a thought ... shouldn't the unit work without being connected to the system? In other words I've eliminated any possible crossovers by leaving it disconnected. If we get it working then I can reconnect and check for crossovers -- what do you think?
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
Yes, if you can just pipe the hot water out onto the ground then you eliminate both the low flow and crossover issues.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
okay - done - but still no dice btw the controller is now reading 49 perhaps I changed the readout to celsius?
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
The unit would have to be working to get to 49 C. Sounds like you might have a DOA unit. You've tried all the diagnostics for a new install, give Rinnai a call at 1-***-***-****
Expert:  Rick replied 2 years ago.
There's nothing else I can do to help