How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marc Your Own Question
Marc, Plumber
Category: Plumbing
Satisfied Customers: 1595
Experience:  Plumbing heating & home maintenance contractor
Type Your Plumbing Question Here...
Marc is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The drainage pipe for my storm drain cracked and I am getting

This answer was rated:

The drainage pipe for my storm drain cracked and I am getting water in my basement when it rains. To be clear, my downspouts(leaders) are inserted into two drainage pipes, one in the front of my house and one in the back of the house. The pipe in the front of the house has a crack in it and I assume is the source of the water which finds its way into the house when it rains. Is this a plumbing problem or a roofer's domain? Any suggestions?

Marc the plumber : Hello and thank you for using the service. I will assist you today with your question to the best of my ability. DO NOT RATE SERVICE UNTIL COMPLETED.
Marc the plumber : hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you tonight
Marc the plumber : is the cracked pipe the drainage pipe or the downspout?
Marc the plumber : I assume you are referring to the drainage pipe and not the downspout.
Marc the plumber : The drainage pipe would be a plumbers repair. A downspout the roofer.
Marc the plumber : The only repair for the cracked pipe is to dig it up and replace the broken section.
Marc the plumber : I see you haven't entered the chat. Please feel free to inquire or respond with a comment if you need further assistance. Please be patient as I may be assisting another customer.


Marc the plumber : Yes

It is the drainage pipe not the downspout. So it is a repair for a plumber and digging it up is the only way to repair it?




Are you there?

Marc the plumber : Yes sorry I am here. The system is slow advising me of your answer
Marc the plumber : Reply...
Marc the plumber : Basically it is the only repair other than getting a specialized company to come and sleeve the line with an insert which is injected into the existing pipe. This is very costly and typically done only in larger applications.
Marc the plumber : The other option is to run a pipe above ground to divert away from the home or to instal a French drain using crushed stone and digging up the surface a bit.
Marc and other Plumbing Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


I spoke with my plumber and he wasn't very helpful. Told me to stand out in rain and see if water comes out of the crack in the pipe (reasonable idea). Wanted to pull off my aluminum siding - there was no reason for that at all. You don't have to be a Master Plumber to see that the drainage pipe was nowhere near my siding.


The drainage pipe is cast iron. Would you replace with cast iron or PVC piping? Any idea how far down you would have to dig?

I am sorry your plumber is being this way. He obviously doesn't have a good "pipe side manner"! If the pipe is cast iron you will need to use a snap cutter or an abrasive diamond sawzall blade to cut it. Then it can be replaced with PVC attached with rubber fernco couplings...all of which can be purchased at Home Depot with the exception of the snap cutter which I believe can be rented.
One doesn't need to be a master plumber to perform this repair.
As for the depth of the piping...that is a good question as every pipe has a different depth depending on the grade to which it is draining. I can only assume since it is rain runoff that it is not super deep. If you were up north (like here in Maine where I am) the pipe could potentially be 4' deep to avoid the frost layer. However most places it is only 12"-24" deep.
Marc and other Plumbing Specialists are ready to help you