Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

In the past 2 days, Ive noticed some areas in one of our bathroom

In the past 2 days, I've noticed some areas in one of our bathroom tile floors (4 tiles 12"x12" each tile) that are warm and also when I turn on the hot water faucet in any sink and in the shower the water gets so hot very quick. So I turned down the control knob of my water heater to the midrange and it took 3 hours to cool off the water to a reasonable temperature, not too hot just about right. Last night when my girlfriend flushed the toilet in our bedroom, she noticed that the rugs were slowly getting wet. Also, some areas of the bathroom floor about 3 ft from the toilet as you stepped on it heading out to the door we noticed and we felt that the floor was making noise and cooler than the other areas of the bathroom floor. Further visual inspection and walking on top of the cooler floors making noise felt like there are some water trapped underneath the tiles. Do you think we have a slab leak or a toilet leak? Our one story house was built in the early 70's and we lived in this house since 1996 and we have not experience this problem before. Thank you and I appreciate your professional advise.

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help with your issue

Rick :

It does sound like you have a leak in a (probably hot) water line under the slab. There are leak detection companies that can locate the source of the leak.

Customer:

Can you recommend a reliable plumbing companies in the area of OXNARD or VENTURA , CALIFORNIA with a phone number or website? A point of contact would be nice. Thanks.

Rick :

We aren't allowed to make direct referrals. Your best bet would be to go to a referral service like Home Advisor

Rick :

there is no charge to you for this service

Customer:

Thank you

Rick :

You're welcome!

Customer:

In your opiniion is the job to correct this problem cost at least a $2,000 ? Based on the description I provided, is this an urgent issue that needs to be taken care of right away like today?

Rick :

Yes this is an urgent issue. I'm sorry but there is no way I can predict the cost from here.

Rick :

Your water piping is under constant pressure. This will only get worse

Customer:

Thank you. I'll wait for the plumber that our friend recommended.

Rick :

Good luck

Customer:

Thank you. I needed that.

Customer:

In the meantime do you recommend to shut off the main water shut off valve outside the house for now until the plumber gets to our house to minimize the pressure to the pipes?

Rick :

Yes turn off the water main. You can always turn it back on temporarily if you need water

Customer:

Thank you.

Rick :

My pleasure. If you don't have any more questions please rate my service

Customer:

We have 3 bathrooms in our house. The one outside our bedroom does not have a leak but the floor tiles are warm. Our bathroom in the bedroom which is located just on the other side of the outside bedroom separated by a wall is the one that leaks and has water trapped underneath the floor. The other bathroom is near our hallway about 20 ft away from the outside bathroom. In your opinion do you think the plumbing connections has a T underneath the outside bathroom where the warm floor is located at and that maybe pipe that going to our bedroom toilet has burst or cracked as a result of the constant pressure and high water temperature?

Rick :

Pipes don't fail from normal pressure or temp. It could be a defect in the pipe or the installation. Chances are the leak is near where the floor was warm

Customer:

The leak is actually in our bedroom bathroom but the floor is not warm. The bathroom with warm floor is the outside bathroom. The two bathrooms are only separated by a wall. The warm floor is about 5 to 6 ft from the leak in the other bathroom. DOes this make sense?

Rick :

The water could be traveling through the floor at some point other than where the leak is and it's cooling off along the way. Floors don't warm up away from a leak. But this is just speculation you need to have someone on site check this out

Customer:

Got it. THank you.

Rick :

You're welcome