Plumbing

Plumbing Questions? Ask a Plumber and Get Answers ASAP.

Plumbing

if i have my water turned off and i need to flush the toilet,

can i do that by...
if i have my water turned off and i need to flush the toilet, can i do that by adding water to the bowl or do i have to put it directly in the tank?
3/14/2013
Nick
Nick, Plumber

Nick :

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you resolve your problem. Feel free to ask any questions to better help you.

Nick :

Hi, how are you?

Nick :

You can add water to either the bowl or the tank, it doesnt matter. If you pour a gallon or so of water straight into the bowl it will flush just about anything. If you want you can even fill up the tank and have it ready to go for a midnight use by just hitting the lever like normal

Customer:

ok, thank you.

Nick :

Do you have any other questions or concerns?

Nick :

You should definately use a bucket and dump it fast when pouring into the bowl for solids.

Customer:

i think i might need to replace filll valve. if i have a leaky tank how li0kely is the bowl to overflow, especiqlly if i don't flush for a week or so (if i'm away)?

Nick :

It will not overflow unless there is a clog in your line and the toilet cannot flush. If the water from the tank is leaking into the bowl then it is most likely the flapper that is allowing water to leak through, not the fill valve. If you wanted to just replace both and have all new guts in your tank you can buy kits for around $20 at your local hardware store

Customer:

is there a way tell which one before replacing anything?

Nick :

If you pull up on the fill valves ball or cup to stop the water, does the water stop or keep leaking through?

Customer:

even if it leaks for a long time won't the bowl water llevel keep rising?

Nick :

no, there is a p-trap in the bowl which keeps the water in to prevent gases to come up from the sewer, but as water enters the bowl it also drains out into the sewer, it will always keep the same level of water

Customer:

i'll try that ,can"t do it right now..if the leak stops when i lift, what does that mean?

Nick :

Then the flapper is leaking water into the bowl and is making the fill valve continue to fill,the tank tryimg to,keep up. If the water isn't reaching the open fill tube in the tank then you can look in the bowl and see if there is any water running down into the bowl. If there is then it's the flapper that needs to be changed.

Customer:

ok, that's all i need, thank you:)

Nick :

If it doesnt stop filling when you lift up on the fill valve lever then the fill valve needs to be replaced

Nick :

You are welcome. If you are satisfied please rate my service. Feel free to ask me any other questions. Thank you

Nick
Nick, Plumber
Nick
Nick
Nick, Plumber