Plumbing

Plumbing Questions? Ask a Plumber and Get Answers ASAP.

Plumbing

in trying to reassemble a commander 8000 insinkerator I am

able to connect and fit...
in trying to reassemble a commander 8000 insinkerator I am able to connect and fit everything together to the lock position, but when trying to reassemble it in situ the lugs on either side do not appear to lift high enough to engage the locking mechanism ..I have ensured that the seal with the flange is inserted the correct way i.e. flange side down What gives?
2/28/2013
Nick
Nick, Plumber

Nick :

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you resolve your problem. Feel free to ask any questions to better help you.

Nick :

Hi, how are you?

Customer:

any thoughts on why I am unable to assemble the insinkerator when in situ yet when I have it on the floor everything falls into place nicely

Nick :

If I'm reading your question right, you are having a problem with spinning the locking bracket on all the way

Nick :

How much force did you use when you tried it on the sink?

Nick :

It will sometimes need a little bit of force while holding on to the waste outlet for leverage. you did make sure all the tabs were on the ledges to spin on?

Customer:

Yes there are two...one on either side..

Nick :

When you tried to spin it on did it just stop before it got into the locking posistion or did the flange start to spin? I'm just trying to get a better idea of what's going wrong here

Customer:

There is a lug either side which fits into a slot. when the lugs have been located the insinkerator is locked into position by just turning the ' locknut' barely a third of a turn to tighten it..the further you turn it the tighteer it gets to make a watertight seal..it almost appears that the flange seal is preventing the lolcking mechanism from reaching its locking position

Nick :

yes the flange it pushes on should be rubber and will need to be squeezed tight to make the seal so a good amount of force will be needed to lock the lugs, it may take more force on the sink then it would with it just sitting on the floor. How old is it? seeing that it is discontinued.

Nick :

Is the rubber seal still soft or is it dry and hard?

Customer:

Had it installed in 1994..quite clearly it all literally falls into place when on the floor..The seal is quite pliable

Customer:

Have actually got it all jacked into place but am still short of getting that extra eight of an inch

Customer:

extra eight of an inch to engage the locking mechanism

Nick :

So when on the sink, how much force did you use before you stopped spinning? I suggest trying again while holding the unit tight and using it to push against while tightening as much as you can.

Nick :

If the locking ring rubs on the rubber seal at all you can try using a little plumbers grease to lube it up and make it spin just a little easier.

Customer:

Have been at it all the afternoon. dismantled it .reassembled it . read the instruction manual . and dittoed several times ..you talk about spinning...the lugs should engage with an upward movement for the lugs to engage into a locking slot...by turning the mounting ring slightly to the right as opposed to spinning, the unit should be locked securely into place

Nick :

and you do have the key or tool to lock it into place?

Customer:

No... just the action of twisting the mount ring not more than 5minutes clockwise to lock it securely

Nick :

Is this the unit you have?

Nick :

this is what i have been refering to to help you. with the two u shaped slots on both sides of the locking ring you should be able to use a tool that would come with the unit or you should be able to get a screwdriver on both sides or just the one side to get the extra bit of turn that you need to lock it in place

Customer:

Yes it is the 8000 with a heavy duty motor ...Ok its probably the only thing i have not tried but will give it a go

Nick :

Ok, I will wait while you try that

Customer:

Is it possible to get back to you in about an hours time after I've had a go at it ..

Nick :

yes that is fine. I'm going to switch to q&a mode and you can send a message to me from this page once you are done. good luck

Customer:

Thanks Nick

Nick :

you are very welcome

Customer:

Back again......have tried all you suggested Nick ...not a hope in hell...but the unit has to come up at least a 1/4 inch to get anywhere near being able to twist the locking mechanism to get it to lock

Customer:

Not game to apply more pressure to the unit as I am afraid of damaging the sink

I thought that would have got it for you. Do you have a way of sending a picture of the flange under the sink without the unit on?

Yes I can try and take a pic or two ....what email address will I send it to?

I'm not allowed to give my personal email out, but in the box where you type in there is a paper clip/attachment button that you can click on to add the pictures to send through this
ok, try putting petroleum jelly or liquid soap on the lugs to make it easier to lock in place, also once you twist it as much as you can either try the screwdriver again to gain more leverage or tapping on the same slots with a hammer. another similar brand recommends doing this with their units to lock in place
also use the petroleum jelly or liquid soap on the rubber seal

will need to try the liquid soap idea with fingers crossed and will sign off for today

I'll cross mine for you too. don't be afraid to tap on it with a hammer also to get it that last bit of the way. good luck again
qwasert
qwasert, Plumber
I have seen many times the black gasket on the commander disposal become misaligned. You need to insert you're fingers inside of the disposal and pull the gasket off. Try a dry fit onto the sink without the gasket and then reinstall th gasket lining up the lock tabs.

Thanks for all the suggestions all of which I tried without success. but in the end I still had to engage the services of a local plumber for the cost of $90. You certainly tried your best but the used of force and hammer were way off the mark when I saw whan he plumber did.

Sorry I can't rate you for the end result, but was certainly very grateful for the offers of advice

I'm sorry I was unable to help you and save you some money. It is hard sometimes to diagnose a problem without actually being there to see whats going on. If you wouldn't mind telling me, I'd like to know what needed to be done to get it on right? Was the rubber gasket not seated right?
Nick
Nick, Plumber

Hi Nick...It appeared that the rubber gasket had to be placed into position inside the lock nut first and then slipped onto the bottom end of the outlet.Hope this little bit of info will be of benefit to you for any other similar query

Many thanks for your effort

Lloyd

Nick
Nick
Nick, Plumber