Plumbing

Plumbing questions? Ask a plumber and get answers ASAP.

I have a NAVIEN NR-210 Tankless Hot Water Heater (18 month…

Customer Question
I have a NAVIEN NR-210...
I have a NAVIEN NR-210 Tankless Hot Water Heater (18 month sold) . I am having continued issues with the display going to 10 Degrees and the red light coming on.The unit then does not "fire" and the water simply runs through it cold. Have you seen this phenomenon before? Any suggestions.

After the unit is turned off (Unplugged) and then plugged back in, it resets to 125 Degrees and seems to re initiate itself. Then when you turn the water on it works. ?? Any ideas.

Ken
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Plumbing
12/21/2012
Plumber: WTRHTRPRO, Water Heater Expert replied 5 years ago
WTRHTRPRO
WTRHTRPRO, Water Heater Expert

WTRHTRPRO :

Hello, thanks for Using Just Answer.

WTRHTRPRO :

The error code you are getting the "10" is a failure to ignite code.

WTRHTRPRO :

Most commonly I see this where the gas supply to the water heater and the home is undersized.

WTRHTRPRO :

Hold on, was looking at the wrong number, sorry. Error code 10 is abnormal vent pressure. Is this unit have two pipes or a single pipe running to the outside?

WTRHTRPRO :

If it is a single pipe, then check the Air intake filter at the top of the unit.

WTRHTRPRO :

the filter is more than likely clogged. If no filter is in place, then it is likely that the fan is clogged up with dust and will need to be replaced.

WTRHTRPRO :

If the unit has two pipes going outside, the inspect them to ensure nothing has gotten down inside them creating a blockage.

JACUSTOMER-m1grucx7- :

Ok. Also when it says 10 Degrees under that in smaller font is "021". I have one exhaust pipe going outside. The unit sits in a utility room so the intake is just the 90 Degree vent that it had when it came out of the factory box. I will go check the filter and see if that is it and/or check the fan. Could there be a clog or something in the exhaust pipe? Or does 10 pertain to only the intake?

JACUSTOMER-m1grucx7- :

I just took the cover off and unscrewed the one screw that holds what I assume is the filter. It looks like a small tennis racket with metal mesh? It wasn't clogged at all. Just a little dust on it. The entire inside of the unit looks brand new still. I will need to figure out how to look inside the fan to check that option. Any help here would be great. Also, could wind outside pushing air back into the exhaust pipe cause this error? Maybe I need to put an additional bend in the exhaust pipe outside the house? Where the pipe is located, it does get a lot of wind. What do you think about this?

WTRHTRPRO :

Sorry, my internet went down, but I am back now.

WTRHTRPRO :

It is possible that there is too much wind outside and not enough make up air coming into the home to run the unit.

WTRHTRPRO :

It does take a lot of air to properly run the unit.

WTRHTRPRO :

Here is one test, crack a window that is on the Same side of the house, preferably close to the vent exits your home and see if the unit will run that way.

WTRHTRPRO :

Other gas appliances in the home, fireplace, and furnaces will also use the air from in the home.

WTRHTRPRO :

How did those tests work?