Plumbing

Plumbing Questions? Ask a Plumber and Get Answers ASAP.

Plumbing

I have hot water in my toilet and hot water comes out of a

Customer Question
faucet when I turn it...
I have hot water in my toilet and hot water comes out of a faucet when I turn it to cold. I think it is a bad cartridge in one of my single control faucets. How do I determine which one?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Plumbing
3/31/2012
Plumber: Todd, Plumber replied 5 years ago
Todd
Todd, Plumber

Todd :

Do you have any moen brand faucet in your home?

JACUSTOMER-jphv1kp2- : No. We have Koehler and Chicago faucets I believe
Todd :

The first thing I would do is go to each single handle faucet, one at a time and turn the hot shut off, off under the sink and then flush the toilet to see if the hot water is there. Do this at each faucet one at time until there is no hot water at the toilet. When the hot water is not present at the toilet this will tell you which faucet cartridge is bad. You also want to shut the washing machine hot water off also, i have seen washing machine go bad and cause the water to mix.

JACUSTOMER-jphv1kp2- :

I will try this and let you know if it worked!

Todd :

Ok I will be here if we need to trouble shoot more.

I have a question -- does it matter which bathroom I start in? Probably a stupid question, but should I start with the sink that is the highest? I have a multi-level home.
I would start in the bathroom where the hot water is in the toilet, then if not there. You could start anywhere in the house. Also if the hot shut off will not shut off you can shut off the cold side .
Any luck? If not we need to see if you have a circulating pump by your water heater.
Hi -- the bathroom with the hot water in the toilet is in my Mother-in-law's room (she lives with us) and when I went to try this, I found the water was not hot. Apparently it is only hot in the morning. That is the same thing for the two sinks that have hot water coming out the cold -- it is intermittent. Is there anything else you can suggest that will narrow it down to a particular faucet as the culprit?
Do you have a circulating pump down by the water heater. If so , see if it working and also see if there is a timer on it.

Hi Todd,

Yes we have both a cirulating pump and it is on the timer. Both seem to be working but I am not sure if I would know if they were not!

Thanks so much,

Nancie

Can you put the timer on, so it will run all the time, to see if this make a difference. When the pump is running right the pipe should feel hot.

I did this and the circulating pump appears to be working as expected. I am not sure what this was supposed to show? I still have the intermittent problem with hot water coming out the cold in some faucets and hot water in the toilet.

Thank you

If the circulating pump is not working , there is a possibility that the cold water could be back feeding cold water into the hot water line. Thats why I wanted you to run the timer on pump all the time to see if this cured the problem. That would tell me that the check valve ( if one is present) is bad. Is there shut off before and after the pump, if so shut them off, turn power off to pump. Now see if there is not water in the toilet.
Todd
Todd
Todd, Plumber