Plumbing

Plumbing Questions? Ask a Plumber and Get Answers ASAP.

Plumbing

My hot water heater keeps throwing the circuit breaker and

Customer Question
turns off. I turn...
My hot water heater keeps throwing the circuit breaker and turns off. I turn the breaker back on, then in an hour or two, the breaker blows again. What is the most likely cause?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Plumbing
2/13/2012
Plumber: Rick Mather, Building Inspector replied 5 years ago
Rick Mather
Rick Mather, Building Inspector

Rick Mather :

One of your electrical elements in heater is shorting to ground when it heats up replace the bad elements or heater itself depending on how old unit is

Customer:

So time for a new water heater? This one is about 8 years old and out of warranty. :( Any brands that you would recommend?

Customer:

Also, what is a typical price to have a new one installed?

Rick Mather
Rick Mather, Building Inspector

Yes at 8 years it at end of life anyway

Depending on labor rates and size would determine but around $500 - $800 would be close

Rick Mather
Rick Mather
Rick Mather, Building Inspector