Plmqwk
Plmqwk, Master Plumber
Experience:  20+ years in plumbing field. Licensed master plumber, commercial plumbing inspector
47536969

I have an old Lindsay water softener in a rental house which

I have an old Lindsay water softener in a rental house which I presume needs to be replaced. There is a lot of iron in the water and the toilet and shower become rust stained. Problem is that the tenants neglect adding salt and neglect the equipment. Is the salt type or salt-free a better alternative. I have no idea how the salt-free unit works and how much they cost. The tenants pay the utility bills. House is on a private well and public sewer. I thought about buying a cheap Sears unit that should last 5 years then toss it and replace it. Need a non-biased opinion.

Welcome to Just Answer. I will do my best to fully answer your question(s).

My opinion of the non-salt unit is not going to work well in your situation because you have at least a small amount of iron present. Seeing as the existing softner apparently removed iron when initially installed I am assuming the iron level in the water is low and managable with a normal softner and no additional iron removal equipment is needed. That said a sears unit will work fine and should last at least 5 years even 7-15. I do recommend having the water tested though for hardness and iron. If the iron level is higher than 3 ppm (parts per million) then do not buy a sears unit. there are other softners with different media resin inside of the unit to handle the higher iron levels.