Plumbing

Plumbing Questions? Ask a Plumber and Get Answers ASAP.

Plumbing

My sink has been backing up. When I turn on the garbage disposal,

Customer Question
it will drain, but as...
My sink has been backing up. When I turn on the garbage disposal, it will drain, but as soon as I turn off the disposal, the water comes back up into the sink. Any idea what the problem is? Is there a quick fix?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Plumbing
1/17/2012
Plumber: John the Plumber, Plumber replied 6 years ago
John the Plumber

John the Plumber :

Good morning. May I help you with your question?

Customer:

Sure, I'd appreciate it

John the Plumber :

Is your sink single or double-bowled?

Customer:

single

John the Plumber :

I strongly suspect you have a clog. When you turn on the disposer, the water is being forced up into the vent, thereby appearing to go down, but when you shut of the disposer, the water returns to the sink.

Customer:

Okay, but if the flywheel is in the way of the clog, do you know of an easy way to get at it?

John the Plumber :

If you would like to attempt to fix this yourself, I can help you with the procedure.

Customer:

Please

John the Plumber :

You'll have to get a bucket and place it under the p-trap on the drain from your disposer. Remove the trap, allowing all the water to drain into the bucket. Check the p-trap and adjoining pipes for evidence of a clog or debris.

Customer:

Okay, I'm assuming if I don't find anything I can just use a snake once the disposer is detached?

Customer:

rather, the trap.

John the Plumber :

If you find none, you'll have to call a plumber to have the line cabled. Sometimes plunging clears these colgs, depending on how bad the debris is lodged in the pipes.

John the Plumber :

Yes, exactly.

Customer:

Okay, thanks a lot.

John the Plumber :

Thank you for your Just Answer question. If you have any further problems, contact us back. Please leave feedback.

John the Plumber
John the Plumber
John the Plumber
John the Plumber, Plumber