Rick
Rick, Construction Supervisor
Experience:  Licensed Master plumber with 40+ yrs. experience.
94766

Where is the reset button for Rheem water heater?

I have no hot water. Where is the reset button for Rheem model #81SV52D?

Category: Plumbing
Expert:  Rick replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to help you solve your problem.

Is this an electric water heater?

Customer : Yes
Rick the plumber : It's under the top access panel. Turn off the power then remove the panel and the insulation behind it. Then press the red reset button. If it clicks you have reset it. The button is at the top of the thermostat.
Customer : Ok, if this does not work what would be my next step?
Rick the plumber : If the button doesn't click then you could have a faulty upper thermostat or upper element if you have NO hot water. If the water is only hot for a short time then the lower thermostat and element are suspect. The only way to verify which is the problem is with a multi-meter.
Customer : Thanks I will try this. I'm thinking one of the elements is at fault, though. Heater is almost 15 years old.
Rick the plumber : Changing the thermostats is easy. If the reset works you should change both upper and lower stats since it will happen again. Changing an element involves draining the tank. If you do change an element be sure to remember to fill the tank fully with water (open a hot water faucet to be sure the air is out) before you turn the power back on.

Thanks for using Just Answer.