Plumbing

Plumbing Questions? Ask a Plumber and Get Answers ASAP.

Plumbing

I have a plunger type bathtub drain. The lever wont stay

Customer Question
I have a plunger type...
I have a plunger type bathtub drain. The lever won't stay down in the open position. To drain the tub, I have to hold the lever down. How can I fix this?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Plumbing
8/17/2011
Plumber: Jerry, Plumber replied 6 years ago
Jerry, Plumber
Welcome to JA!
On the faceplate behind the trip lever is supposed to be a spring. This spring provides friction so the lever "locks " in the position you put it in. If the spring breaks it usually falls directly down your drain. Or it could be there and just getting weak.
I'll check for the spring. If the spring is gone or not functioning, what type is it and where can I get one to replace it?
I am not sure if you can buy just the spring. You can buy the faceplate portion with the spring at any plumbing store including Home Depot. Should be about 5 dollars. Then you could use just the spring if you have a special faceplate that you want to keep. The spring is about the diameter of the trouble lever and about 1/2-3/4 inches long. It mounts on the backside of the faceplate Tripper.
Hi, I just removed the faceplate to take a look. I don't see a place for a spring. Behind the faceplate the lever is connected to something that looks like a 1 inch or so cylindrical looking thing that is rubber-like with metal end caps. This in turn is attached with a cotter pin to the linkage. Any suggestions?
Ok the rubber thing should hold the trip lever tight when you trip it up or down. The more common version would have a spring there. Either way if you trip lever is not staying put, then it's wore down and needs replacement. You most likely will just have to remove the cotter pin and replace the whole faceplate.
Jerry, Plumber
Jerry, Plumber